PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me fish for my stocklist

Yonp11
10/07/2015, 10:00 AM
I have a 93 gal cube mixed reef, 24x24x30". MP40 powerhead, ConeS Q2 skimmer, Radion xr30 g3, 20 gal sump with chaeto, running gfo and carbon, maybe 100lbs of live rock between the DT and sump.

I dose vinegar daily, over the past few months I've never detected nitrates above 5ppm, usually I'll see it at 2ppm or less. Phosphate clocks in at 0.02ppm or less over the same timespan using a Hannah checker, but I do have some hair algae in the tank, nothing crazy.

Current stock list:
1 bangaai cardinal
2 occ. clowns + RBTA
1 starry blenny
3 Bartlett's anthias
1 Mandarin (don't have it yet, will get it later when I feel like I have enough pods)

Recommend me some more fish to finish up the list!

I want a kole tang, but am on the fence. Some people here say it will be fine in the cube, some say it won't work. Also, some people say they have aggression issues with starry blennies, similar color + both eat algae. Any input?

I don't want to get any fish that will compete with the mandarin for pods, does that eliminate all wrasses?

thanks!

anthonys51
10/07/2015, 10:05 AM
i have a kole tang in a 57 gallon tank, for past 4 months he has been a good boy. he gets aong with by dotyback and clowns and anthies.

Bent
10/07/2015, 10:18 AM
Well as to wrasse competition, I had the same question and so far my conclusion is that as long as the wrasse is fed well, his/her detriment to the pod population will be minimal.

As far as tangs go, I think you should be fine with some of the smaller bristles like c. Strigosus or c. Tominiensis IMO.

As for aggression issues with the starry, it's really hard to tell. I think it's going to come down to the individual fish. My LMB attacks my hand like a rattlesnake, but other people say they could pet theirs like a dog if they wanted to.

As for suggestions, here's what I like:

1. Darts. Purple, helfrichi, reds, zebras. I like them all. Just get one though.
2. Ruby head wrasse. I've heard they can be aggressive, but others say not so much. I've never owned one so I don't have first hand info, but they are pretty.
3: Fang blennies. Yellow canary blennies are cool, as are green fangs. Or if you can find a Komahara.
4: if you can find a gulf signal blenny (e. hypacanthus) that's one fish I'd kill to have.
5: jaw fish are always cool.
6: engineer goby. Some love em, I hate em. Just make sure your rock work is stable. I love them. Mine is 8-9" and growing quickly. It really feeds my need for a eel.

Lots of options brah

JammyBirch
10/07/2015, 12:28 PM
No doubt about it i would get a Royal Gramma, beautiful fish, tough and very social. The RG i have is the only fish that will come over to the glass and check me out when i'm looking at the tank. It's a great fish, but will rule out the Wrasse, from what i understand the aggression in either fish does not make them compatible. I have a Cherub angel to keep the RG in check.

MJV0103
10/07/2015, 02:06 PM
I had a McCoskers wrasse in with a much larger RG. RG first kept the wrasse in the corner under a rock, i shifted the RG's rock he slept in 180 degrees and all aggression stopped and they hung out together until the wrasse made it to my hardwood floor.