PDA

View Full Version : Big tank owners, need your advice: glass or acrylic?

lagatbezan
10/07/2015, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, I currently have a 180g acrylic tank which has been set up for over 5 years and has accumulated scratches over the years. I will be upgrading in the near future hopefully to a 240-300g and was wondering if you guys using glass or acrylic tanks? I know glass is much heavier and fragile which is why I like acrylic but hate the fact they scratch if you look at it the wrong way lol.
So what is your tank made out of and how do you feel about it?

albano
10/07/2015, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, I currently have a 180g acrylic tank which has been set up for over 5 years and has accumulated scratches over the years. I will be upgrading in the near future hopefully to a 240-300g and was wondering if you guys using glass or acrylic tanks? I know glass is much heavier and fragile which is why I like acrylic but hate the fact they scratch if you look at it the wrong way lol.
So what is your tank made out of and how do you feel about it?

Have had many acrylic tanks since 1991, still using some that are ~20 yrs old... Current tank is 450g and am about to upgrade to 600g...I wouldn't set up a glass tank even if it was free!
You can buff out your 180g and make it like new... Something that you can't do with glass.
Why are you getting so many scratches? Is this happening while cleaning it?

alin2
10/08/2015, 08:29 AM
My 2 cents:

I had an 190 G acrylic peninsula tank and while I loved the clarity of the tank and the lack of noticeable seams in the corners with "museum quality" seams, the eventual scratching drove me bananas. I started to "see" the scratches rather then the aquarium content at times if that makes sense.

So, my current tank being set-up is glass. It's a pain on how much heavier it is. But, the low iron glass is stunning. I love the rimless design without a canopy. But, it's the resistance to scratching that absolutely sold me on low iron glass.

Dmorty217
10/08/2015, 11:56 AM
Once you reach a certain tank volume acrylic is the only feasible choice, unless of course your having the tank built on site

Raoul5Duke
10/08/2015, 12:13 PM
Once you reach a certain tank volume acrylic is the only feasible choice, unless of course your having the tank built on site

I agree with this statement. I have an 96x36x24 that is approx. 360 gallons. There was no way we were getting a glass tank that size in my house and down a set of stairs so I went acrylic. Gotten a couple of noticeable scratches in the year that its been up but I feel like its reasonable. I just try to be careful while cleaning it, using Mr. Clean pads and plastic scrapper.

albano
10/08/2015, 12:48 PM
But, it's the resistance to scratching that absolutely sold me on low iron glass.

Low iron glass scratches easier than regular glass and you can't fix it!

alin2
10/08/2015, 02:41 PM

Depends on the type of low iron glass, but yes, low iron glass is usually around 6 on the Moh's hardness scale.

But, in terms of scratch resistance, maybe low iron glass < regular float glass.

BUT, low iron glass>>>acrylic in terms of scratch resistance.

:)

xmas_one
10/08/2015, 02:54 PM

False, this is one of the more silly myths that just won't die.

skanderson
10/08/2015, 04:09 PM
I have a 300 and a 700 gallon tank in my basement. both are glass and if I go ahead with another big tank it will be glass as well. my experience with low iron glass is that it scratches easier than my old regular glass 180 but maybe that is just me being pickier nowadays. the key to getting large tanks into your basement is proper house design.

slief
10/08/2015, 05:25 PM
I had my 4'x8'x2' tall 480 gallon display custom built over 20 years ago and it's still perfect today. Unlike glass, scratches in acrylic are easily removed. That said, it's all about how well the tank is built in terms of material quality and thickess. There is good acrylic and there is lousy acrylic. If you decide to go with an acrylic tank, don't skimp on the materials to save money. If you have it built right, it will last a lifetime. If you skimp on materials, it will deflect and or show signs of stress cracks/krazing.

bmanzie
10/08/2015, 06:09 PM
I am with slief, acrylic gives you an option to start over with clearing scratches.
i have my 600 that is acrylic and i started of by sanding the entire tank down.

Socaltoaz
10/08/2015, 06:59 PM
Tastes great! Less filling!
����

Mine is acrylic. Roughly 800 gallons

ca1ore
10/08/2015, 08:36 PM
So, how does one keep the acrylic clean but avoid fine scratches? I've always had glass tanks, but i am contemplating going bigger and glass is just going to be too heavy.

slief
10/08/2015, 10:44 PM
So, how does one keep the acrylic clean but avoid fine scratches? I've always had glass tanks, but i am contemplating going bigger and glass is just going to be too heavy.

Mighty Magnet scrubber is what I use for weekly cleaning. For coraline, I use a metal coraline scraper that is typically used for a glass tank. It works great and won't scratch the acrylic if you are careful. It also cuts through coraline like butter. Sanding the burrs off the edges with some 600 grit wet sand paper also helps to avoid scratching.

I guess this is another reason why I am glad I have an acrylic display.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532303

nuxx
10/09/2015, 10:30 AM
Did acrylic on our display tank since I was scared of moving a massive glass tank into the house.

Did starphire on our frag tank, since I was tired of always being scared of scratches on the acrylic.

I think I like the starphire more, and will probably go that way on our next big tank :)

anbosu
10/09/2015, 11:25 AM

I use a Kent Marine plastic blade for the hard algae. Mr. Clean works for the rest.

nuxx
10/09/2015, 11:27 AM
I use a Kent Marine plastic blade for the hard algae. Mr. Clean works for the rest.

Exactly what we do.

Chalu
10/09/2015, 11:56 AM
Mighty Magnet scrubber is what I use for weekly cleaning. For coraline, I use a metal coraline scraper that is typically used for a glass tank. It works great and won't scratch the acrylic if you are careful. It also cuts through coraline like butter. Sanding the burrs off the edges with some 600 grit wet sand paper also helps to avoid scratching.

the other side of the coin- http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096730&page=43

a well built tank glass or acrylic or hybrid will give many years of viewing pleasure! but chit happens occaisionally

lagatbezan
10/09/2015, 02:52 PM
thanks for all the suggestions and opinions guys. I also use the Mr. clean magic eraser attached to my magfloat to clean my tank and it does a great job. but it seems regardless of how careful i'm small scratches are unavoidable.
I know a while ago i saw a site advertising an acrylic tanks that were harder to scratch then regular acrylic, but cant seem to find it.
so what brand/manufacture acrylic tank are you guys using? any site recommendations?

like Slief said, this is also why i'm leaning more toward another acrylic tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532303[/QUOTE]

Mike Hart
10/09/2015, 05:13 PM
Everyone has their opinions on both sides. I dont like acrylic and my 9 ft x 30x30 tank is all glass by DSA. Well put together.

alin2
10/09/2015, 06:30 PM
What's interesting to me is that there seems to be a preference for glass amongst European reefers and acrylic amongst US reefers for big tanks.

I wonder if my observation is true or skewed?

VWD
10/09/2015, 06:45 PM
Acrylic is the way to go when going large, I have had many and not problems with scratches if you use care. I have a friend with a store and all tanks are acrylic and over 25 years old and look great to this day.

albano
10/09/2015, 09:00 PM
3 of my smaller acrylic tanks (120-130g) are between 18 and ~24yrs old...all have been sanded/buffed and look like new... I 'cut down' 1 of them from 27"tall to 15" to use as an anemone tank, I wouldn't try that with glass

SethTheWineGuy
10/10/2015, 08:48 AM
so what brand/manufacture acrylic tank are you guys using? any site recommendations?

I have been going through the same research, questions, and internal debate on my next tank. It will be 600g. My current tank is Starfire and I've come to the conclusion to go acrylic. I'm having MRC (http://www.myreefcreations.com) build my tank. These guys don't skimp on quality of acrylic or the workmanship. I've seen dozens of their displays. Really polished product.

Kt8
10/10/2015, 04:21 PM
James at Envision Acyrilics

sfsuphysics
10/12/2015, 11:02 AM
My advice, try to use one of those scratch repair kits and just see if you can fix a small portion of scratched acrylic, this should help you maybe decide on where you're going to go, if you find that it's really not too difficult then maybe you stick with acrylic, if you find that it is a major PITA for you then maybe you go glass.

My own personal experience with both is that the argument of acrylic being way clearer than glass only holds true if you actually keep the acrylic absolutely pristine, my day 1 acrylic tank looked fabulous, however a few years later with coraline growing all around the edge because those parts were a pain to get to, not so much, meanwhile my softy tank made of glass, I take a razor blade swipe swipe swipe and the tank looks like a day1 tank again and WAY nicer than the acrylic. So with that said, I would lean towards glass, do take in mind the glass thickness was 1/2" and I only at extreme angles did I really notice any green tint, which then wasn't horrible, if you go to 3/4" glass all bets might be off, although looking straight through probably won't be that much of a difference and any difference you'll just think is the norm (I really hate those side by side acrylic/glass photos)

There aren't many tanks in the 300g range that are "standard" (Marineland DD is the only one that really comes to mind right now), so that means custom, I would say your choices of manufacturers that are feasible should ultimately make you decide, for instance if you want glass and are thinking Cadlights or Glasscages... then I'd probably go with acrylic made by a monkey with a hot glue gun (aka ATM! :D) over them.

Dmorty217
10/12/2015, 06:27 PM
james at envision acyrilics

+1

Giovanni
10/12/2015, 08:56 PM
Glassssssss!!!!

Chalu
10/13/2015, 11:29 AM
I'd chose glass as far as scratching goes. After keeping acrylic tanks for a few years, I chose to go Starfire on the last large tank. removing scratches on acrylic even on the outside was turning into a chore I didnt want to spend time on, and not wanting to constantly harass the kids to "stay away"; we kept a large(r) tank so the kids enjoy and learn as much or more than we did.

If you have kids or kids visiting very often, then its a matter of time the tank will host a toy car.

karimwassef
10/13/2015, 11:45 AM
My current 380 is starphire. I've had both glass and acrylic...

Starphire does scratch easier than regular glass, but not as much as acrylic.

You can buff acrylic on the outside, but it's the inside that's the problem.

Personally, I think it depends on whether you expect particulates to find their way into your magnets. I have a thick sand bed- that made acrylic a non-starter.

Tanks that are treated with kid gloves are ok with acrylic. I've accidentally pushed rocks, sand, etc... against the walls. Even my starphire has fine scratches (which you can buff with an oxide - boron?). I know myself and I can't work with acrylic.

I needed a crane and 7 men to get my tank in.. It was worth it.

Chalu
10/13/2015, 12:45 PM
(which you can buff with an oxide - boron?).

Cerium oxide

Stylo328
10/13/2015, 07:32 PM
I had a great conversation today with James at Envision Acrylics as a result of the posts on this thread. What a class act!

FuzzyZipperbaum
10/13/2015, 08:12 PM
The debate can go both ways. However, I believe you may want to consider how you manage your own personal life. If you tend to be a neat freak, take your time cleaning, very attune to detailing say your car, etc... go Acrylic. Otherwise go glass.

I clean my 2 FIVE hundred G tanks once a week. I use a new scotch erase pad..I cut them in half each time. I use hotel room keys to get rid of the coralline on the front and rear glass. I use a kent scraper for hard to reach. I take my time, I make sure I have no blown sand moving around when I clean, etc.... no scratches yet... I say yet because it will happen and I will deal with it then. But you really have to clean regularly to not let the algae build up using less work and force to clean it.

Good luck with your decision.

Dmorty217
10/13/2015, 08:31 PM
Glass is scratch "resistant" but not scratch proof. Also anything over 700g or so won't be easily moved no matter how many people you have, unless built on site

shred5
10/13/2015, 09:07 PM

Come on I have been in the hobby a very long time and have seen lots of acrylic tanks crack or burst. I had a seam pop on my acrylic frag tanks. Should this happen no but there are flaws or mistakes made. Acrylic or glass should have no issues if they are constructed right with good materials.

DavidinGA
10/13/2015, 09:43 PM
Glass