PDA

View Full Version : Re-do of seahorse tank.

vlangel
10/08/2015, 04:57 AM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/vlangelbike/Mobile%20Uploads/20151007_172939_zpsjppaai6o.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/vlangelbike/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151007_172939_zpsjppaai6o.jpg.html)

Well, I should have just listened to several of you folks on here from the get go. My seahorse tank was connected to my reef tank via the sump. I kept both tanks at 72-74 degrees. My reef tank only had 3 fish, one of which was a captive bred clown that I raised. It worked pretty well but what I found was that I had 2 very high maintenance tanks and that became tiring. So I did what was suggested when I was first setting up a seahorse tank...I made it a dedicated, stand alone system. Those of you that warned me about this may say, "See, I told you so!" LOL

redhorse
10/08/2015, 07:59 AM
Beautiful tank. The feeding station looks good in that area too. Nice job!

vlangel
10/09/2015, 01:37 PM
Beautiful tank. The feeding station looks good in that area too. Nice job!
Thanks redhorse. That is a slower flow area so the food doesn't get lifted out of the feeding station as readily there.

vlangel
10/09/2015, 01:38 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5qxq5D7lI

Here is a video of the tank.

redhorse
10/09/2015, 11:41 PM
WOW! I would be watching for hours with all that is going on in your tank.
BEAUTIFUL!

touchingstoves
10/10/2015, 01:25 AM
Beautiful!!! I'm a seahorse guy too! You going to RAP?

vlangel
10/10/2015, 06:03 AM
WOW! I would be watching for hours with all that is going on in your tank.
BEAUTIFUL!

Ha ha, yes I do spend an awful lot of time watching the ponies and some days I don't do a lot else!

vlangel
10/10/2015, 06:04 AM
Beautiful!!! I'm a seahorse guy too! You going to RAP?
Is it like a frag swap? I am not familiar with RAP. Where is it?

Cstaricansrfer1
10/11/2015, 09:43 AM
Looks really good!

Did you paint the feeding bowl or swap it out with something else? I find that my male sometimes has trouble when he is on the outside of the bowl and doesn't realize that the shrimp are inside it since the glass is clear. I may have to switch to something like yours.

vlangel
10/11/2015, 06:31 PM
Looks really good!

Did you paint the feeding bowl or swap it out with something else? I find that my male sometimes has trouble when he is on the outside of the bowl and doesn't realize that the shrimp are inside it since the glass is clear. I may have to switch to something like yours.

Yes, I switched the jelly jar for a similar size black plastic bowl. The ponies can see the mysis better against the black backround and seem to eat better from it.

el aguila
10/12/2015, 10:41 AM
Looking Nice!!!

It looks like you have a piece of rock for the horses to hitch to while eating?

What are the yellow polyp type corals?

jmowbray
10/12/2015, 01:05 PM
Looking Nice!!!

My guess is exactly what you called them, yellow polyps. lol

vlangel
10/12/2015, 01:18 PM
Looking Nice!!!

I intentionally put hitches around the feeding station because Adam and Eve would hitch to each other or sit in the food bowl so hopefully the hitches encourages them to eat without flailing mysis everywhere, LOL. The yellow coral is indeed YELLOW POLYPS just as job ray said. They are a great addition since they give the tank a splash of yellow but they are hardy and don't mind 70 degree water.

vlangel
10/12/2015, 01:19 PM
I intentionally put hitches around the feeding station because Adam and Eve would hitch to each other or sit in the food bowl so hopefully the hitches encourages them to eat without flailing mysis everywhere, LOL. The yellow coral is indeed YELLOW POLYPS just as jmowbray said. They are a great addition since they give the tank a splash of yellow but they are hardy and don't mind 70 degree water.

vlangel
10/12/2015, 01:22 PM
Sorry for the double posting, my auto correct changed jmowbray's username and I was trying to fix it and ended up with 2 posting! Uhhhg!

el aguila
10/12/2015, 06:33 PM
I thought that they were yellow palys, but the way that the are going up, I thought that they could possibly be some other kind of softie. As bright yellow as those are, I wouldn't mind getting some of them myself.

touchingstoves
10/12/2015, 07:24 PM
Is it like a frag swap? I am not familiar with RAP. Where is it?

RAP-Reef a palooza kinda like a frag swap but bigger. Most vendors from Marine Depot to Dr. Tims. They also had local reefers that were selling their corals and stores that set up shop. They unfortunately were selling baby tiny WC tiger tails. Not good :-(.

vlangel
10/12/2015, 07:59 PM
RAP-Reef a palooza kinda like a frag swap but bigger. Most vendors from Marine Depot to Dr. Tims. They also had local reefers that were selling their corals and stores that set up shop. They unfortunately were selling baby tiny WC tiger tails. Not good :-(.

Sounds like a cool event although that is sad about the tiny WC tiger tails. I have never been to any of the big marine aquarium events but would like to someday.

jmowbray
10/13/2015, 05:36 AM
I thought that they were yellow palys, but the way that the are going up, I thought that they could possibly be some other kind of softie. As bright yellow as those are, I wouldn't mind getting some of them myself.

Be carefull what you wish for. lol I refered to mine as the yellow xenia of my tank if you know what I mean. ;)

el aguila
10/13/2015, 12:10 PM
Be carefull what you wish for. lol I refered to mine as the yellow xenia of my tank if you know what I mean. ;)
That is what I would expect from it. On the flip side something that can provide a predominately yellow background might not be all bad if it helps the seahorses maintain a yellow color.

I still don't have any real experience in this. Just seems like it could possibly work.

vlangel
10/14/2015, 05:15 AM
I have them in a spot that they have to compete with some mushrooms so I think they won't go too crazy!

vlangel
08/26/2016, 07:35 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/vlangelbike/Mobile%20Uploads/20160826_165944_zpsvygn2bdw.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/vlangelbike/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160826_165944_zpsvygn2bdw.jpg.html)
I realized that I have not given an update in a while. My coral are not as lush and healthy as they once were and I am fighting some cyano on the sandbed. The tank has been working well however. With the sump upgrade to the basement, water changes are so easy. Adam and Eve have been happy and healthy. October 2nd I will have had Adam, Eve and Abraham the pipefish for 2 years. So in general I am happy with everything.