PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Reboot!

Joel_155
10/10/2015, 11:20 AM
Hi all,
So I've had my cube for about two years and this is my second tank. Right now the tank has quite a lot of aiptasia (despite my matted filefish) and I want to replace all the LR and reboot the tank. Also right now I have GSP growing all over everything and it is killing some of my other corals. At this point I want to move from a softies tank to something more focused on LPS with some Sps.

So I bought 50lbs of marco rocks and have cycled it in a separate tank. The plan is to use the second tank as a permanent coral QT and frag tank when everything is all set up but for now it is housing cycled LR.

My plan is to completely cycle the LR in the coral QT (done), sell or dry out current LR and go fish only (with lights out) for a few months to really get rid of all the excess bubble algae and then introduce the newly pest free cycled LR and eventually the corals I would have been keeping in the QT (currently in my DT).

What am I missing with this plan? I'm trying to completely rid my tank of aiptasia and bubble algae and change the scope of my tank. I figured before I start this process (aside from cycling the dry rock) I would ask and make sure I'm not missing anything.

Will my four fish be okay in my DT without any LR? There is a small RDSB on the sump and I run an aquamaxx skimmer which is amazing. I figure they will be okay as long as I keep my filtration going but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!

Joel

Bogue Chitto
10/10/2015, 03:45 PM
I would think that as long as the filter media hasn't been changed, it should be o.k. The bacteria will continue to grow as the ammonia builds up from loss of the rock. Also the bacteria will be on the walls of the tank.

Joel_155
10/10/2015, 05:29 PM
I figure that my bioload os pretty light and I'll still be running my fully seeded RDSB. I think as far as fish go I'll be fine.