PDA

View Full Version : Fish breeding tank questions?

Trace54
10/11/2015, 12:06 PM
Hello Reef Central community, I just have some questions regarding my breeding aquarium. I just want to ensure I'm doing nothing wrong with my aquarium. So I've have 2 saltwater aquariums in my house a 92 gallon corner reef tank and a 20 gallon saltwater breeder tank. So I wanted to try breeding the fish. I have a penguin 200 filter a LED light a 20g protein skimmers and obviously a heater (I will post pictures). I have two ocellarius clowns (lol if I spelled that right). The clowns were in a tank full of other clowns when I got them one is bigger one is smaller I got the clowns about 2 weeks ago they most mostly stay together in the corner and don't use the entire aquarium to swim but they do swim around and stuff. I have a nice piece of live rock and a clay pot in the aquarium for breeding when they spawn and plant their eggs I don't know if they are mated yet Im not sure what to look for signs of they are mated. I feed them frozen shrimp and the LED light is on a 10 hour timer. So that's basically it if you see me doing anything Wrong from what I described to you or in the pictures tell me or if you see anything wrong in the pictures tell me if you have any questions for me ask I will respond. Thanks

shifty51008
10/11/2015, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a good setup, not sure if they are paired yet though if they came from a tank with alot of others. Either way looks like they should pair up just fine. Just keep water parameters stable and feed about 3 times a day and youll do fine.

You say you feed frozen shrimp, do you mean brine shrimp or mysis? I would suggest the mysis though

ginpang
10/13/2015, 11:12 AM
I have had ph issues with clay pots... You may want to keep an close eye on that. Depending on where the clay was harvested the soil composition can vary a bit and wether the pot is just cooked or glazed could make your ph either go up or down.
Though I got them from a hardware store chain that's exclusive to Quebec so it may have different suppliers than American hardware stores ?!!

president89
10/20/2015, 02:07 PM
Clay pots are fine to use. All breeders use them or have used them in the past. Join a clownfish group on Facebook. The big breeders are on there and they help in realtime. Read Joyce Wilkerson's book before asking questions. She lays out every detail.