PDA

View Full Version : Vectra M1 or Waveline DC10000

Spartanman22
10/12/2015, 08:56 AM
Which would you go with and why? Trying to determine if the $100 price difference is worth it. Not trying to cheap out or anything just want to justify added expense!

From my research, the Waveline will give you more flow for less $, but the Ecotech will give you a quieter pump with more features and the quality assurance of an Ecotech product.

slief
10/12/2015, 09:02 AM
Which would you go with and why? Trying to determine if the $100 price difference is worth it. Not trying to cheap out or anything just want to justify added expense!

From my research, the Waveline will give you more flow for less $, but the Ecotech will give you a quieter pump with more features and the quality assurance of an Ecotech product.

Verctra hands down! The Vectra uses a much better motor block from a completely different factory than Waveline, Jebao etc. It also has a better controller and a better power power supply. Not only will you get a better built and longer lasting pump, but you will also get much better support. It's an absolute no brainer in my opinion. The Wavelines, Jebao's etc don't have a great record in terms of reliability. That $100 difference will be well spent. Get the Vectra and some peace of mind.

Spartanman22
10/12/2015, 09:04 AM
Slief,

Tha KS for the quick repsonse! What you say makes sense. I've had a Jabaeo with no issues for some years now, but I have heard plenty of the horror storries. I wasn't sure if the Waveline were simply rebranded versions. I want quality equipment that will last and won't need upgrading (unless I finally swallow the Royal Exclusive price tags!).

Spartanman22
10/12/2015, 09:06 AM
Do you need the reef link to utilize the remote functions? I have an Apex Gold and WXM but from the sounds of it the Vectra is not and may not ever be WXM compatible. Would a reef link be a wise investment? I've run Vortechs for years without a reef link is it something really needed?

slief
10/12/2015, 09:21 AM
Do you need the reef link to utilize the remote functions? I have an Apex Gold and WXM but from the sounds of it the Vectra is not and may not ever be WXM compatible. Would a reef link be a wise investment? I've run Vortechs for years without a reef link is it something really needed?

You would only need Reeflink if you want the advance features of the Vectra immediately. Basic reliable flow is all I expect from my return pumps. While things like calculated water flow and increased pressure notifcation seem like neat idea's, they certainly aren't something I would feel I need in the short term and especially for my return pump. You can manually control the flow from the Vectra controller which would be more than sufficient in my opinion.

Like you, I am an Apex user. I strongly believe that Vectra support will come for Apex in the not so distant future. Those of us who run controllers like the Apex see the value in certal control and I think Ecotech recognizes that there are many who won't buy the Vectra if they can't control it from their Apex. As such, if it were me, I'd probably hold out on Reeflink for at least a couple months in hopes that the bridge is gapped between the Vectra and Apex via the WXM. If not, you could always but Reeflink if you want to take advantage of those advanced features. Heck, even if we do get Vectra support via the WXM module, we may not see some of those advanced features so at some point, you may find yourself having to decide if any of those advanced features are worth the cost of Reeflink. For me, I just want basic control over my return pumps as those are set it and forget it devices on my tanks. I never shut them off unless I have some maintenace to do that requires that. I never slow them down either. If my flow slows down, I can immediately tell because my water line in my display would change and my high or low level water level sensors in my sump would notify me via my Apex.

ClownsRCoo
10/12/2015, 09:22 AM
Aren't all of the controllability features only useful if you are running a closed loop system. The whole variations in flow and schedule programming is cool and all but someone like myself would never use it. Yeah you can slow the pump down to a trickle while feeding and keep never have to power down your pump but then your skimmer overflow because most program it to turn off when then return turns off. Your sump level will rise and skimmer will always overflow. Same thing for if you vary the flow throughout the day. Means your sump level will constantly fluctuate and overflow your skimmer and possibly kick on your ATO for no reason.

Also the vectras appear to have heat issues which im not aware of the explanation for yet. There have been several people who report temp increases after switching to this pump.

One of ecotech a biggest weaknesses to me is their connectivity and everything special about this pump is based on connectivity and communication. My Reeflink loses signal probably once an hour through the day. Yeah their support is good but their products are just par if you are really being honest. I've got vortech's that don't take a program change unless I update them 3 or 4 times. I've had Radions that didn't follow the schedule at all and color match between the fixtures wasn't even close. The Reeflink is more of an annoyance than convenience.

I think they are obviously one of the more popular and trendy brands but they are far from the end all be all of aquarium products.

I don't agree with the no brainer comment.

I'm in the same situation and its definately not a no brainer for me and like I said it's because I have owned several Ecotech products that makes me doubt this latest one.

ca1ore
10/12/2015, 09:29 AM
Assuming we're talking a main return pump, then I long ago dismissed the range of DC pumps as an acceptably reliable choice. Although I've no plans to replace my external AC pumps, I would consider the Vectra as an option on a new tank (even though longevity is as yet unknown). I run all pumps as externals, so HT is not an issue for me.

Spartanman22
10/12/2015, 10:23 AM
You would only need Reeflink if you want the advance features of the Vectra immediately. Basic reliable flow is all I expect from my return pumps. While things like calculated water flow and increased pressure notifcation seem like neat idea's, they certainly aren't something I would feel I need in the short term and especially for my return pump. You can manually control the flow from the Vectra controller which would be more than sufficient in my opinion.

Like you, I am an Apex user. I strongly believe that Vectra support will come for Apex in the not so distant future. Those of us who run controllers like the Apex see the value in certal control and I think Ecotech recognizes that there are many who won't buy the Vectra if they can't control it from their Apex. As such, if it were me, I'd probably hold out on Reeflink for at least a couple months in hopes that the bridge is gapped between the Vectra and Apex via the WXM. If not, you could always but Reeflink if you want to take advantage of those advanced features. Heck, even if we do get Vectra support via the WXM module, we may not see some of those advanced features so at some point, you may find yourself having to decide if any of those advanced features are worth the cost of Reeflink. For me, I just want basic control over my return pumps as those are set it and forget it devices on my tanks. I never shut them off unless I have some maintenace to do that requires that. I never slow them down either. If my flow slows down, I can immediately tell because my water line in my display would change and my high or low level water level sensors in my sump would notify me via my Apex.
I agree with you on the functions of a return pump which is why I was second guessing the Vectra. I wasn't sure if idk use the full breadth of the Vectra features. I do like DC over AC and frequently use the speed levels and feed mode, but beyond that I can't see myself using anything else consistently. But it does sound like the Vectra is a higher quality product in terms of materials and construction. How much higher I'm not sure, but the proven track record of Ecotechs customer service seems to make the plunge worth it. I've got 4 year old Vortechs that work great and in that whole time I've only had one customer service encounter and Ecotech was fantastic, especially considering I was outside warranty.

jmm
10/12/2015, 10:48 AM
I use the Ecotech M1 as a return pump. I think it's neat that you can just turn the dial to turn it up or down. I run it with 4 lights unlit. This is about the same flow as the pump I replaced. If I want the pump to run stronger I just turn it up some more. I watch to make sure the level in the tank doesn't rise and cause the ATO to add more water to the sump, but that extra surge is useful for a short time occasionally.

When you feed you can push the button for "feed mode" but that, at least in factory tune, also turns off the vortechs. Since I like the vortechs to spread the food so that all the fish and corals get some, I don't use feed mode. I just turn the pump down with the controller dial to its lowest setting. The tank level drops just a little and the sump level stays the same for the protein skimmer and only rises a little in the return section.

I love it. And I love Ecotechs service and support. They are helpful, friendly, and often just give you parts even if the units being repaired are out of warranty.

The Reeflink is neat but not entirely necessary. Mine, when it was new often lost contact with the internet or the lights but there have been a number of software and firmware upgrades and I no longer have that problem.

Spartanman22
10/12/2015, 11:02 AM
Alright well looks like I've made up my mind. Putting in an order for the Vectra M1 today, thanks everyone for the help! If I don't like it I can always go back to my Jabeao

anit77
10/12/2015, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, please excuse my ignorance. I have not started a system yet. I'm piecing things together over time and doing a whole lot of reading. I've also read the whole Vectra thread.
Given that here's my, maybe stupid 😌, questions. Aren't the control features of both Apex and Reeflink html based? If so wouldn't someone be able to make an add-on or plugin to Apex's page to send the commands to reeflink? Then not only would the pump(s) not need to be plugged in to the Apex but full capabilities and control could be managed from one page. Yes you'd need to have a reeflink connected to your network too but you wouldn't have to use their page all the time. Just a thought...

laverda
10/19/2015, 01:11 PM
Verctra hands down! The Vectra uses a much better motor block from a completely different factory than Waveline, Jebao etc. It also has a better controller and a better power power supply. Not only will you get a better built and longer lasting pump, but you will also get much better support. It's an absolute no brainer in my opinion. The Wavelines, Jebao's etc don't have a great record in terms of reliability. That $100 difference will be well spent. Get the Vectra and some peace of mind.

The wave line motor block is made by the same company/factory that makes the one for the vectra from everything I have read. This in not the same company the makes jebo snd many other copies. To be honest it looks like the wave line is more efficient the the vectra. I for one font see that the vortec products are all that reliable and the vectra is unproven so far.

Spartanman22
10/19/2015, 01:18 PM
I've had great success with Vortech Products. I have an MP10WES that's been in service since 2011 and still going strong. But I also have many of the old Koralia pumps still chugging along as well. It all comes down how well you maintain your equipment. Proper maintenance and servicing goes a long way.

laverda
10/19/2015, 02:09 PM
4 years is not exactly long, especially at the cost of vortech products. I have pumps that have been running for over 15 years continuously. That is what I am looking for in a replacement return pump, along with low energy use. Sadly I am very disappointed with the numbers I see on the new vortech return pumps. I sure don't need most of the fancy features. The only one I can imagine ever using is the feed setting, just to keep the food from going directly to the sump. They are all irrelevant if the pump is not reliable long term.

Spartanman22
10/19/2015, 02:33 PM
I can understand your point but were those 15 year pumps DC? I think given the DC only market it is difficult to ascertain the longevity of many brands simply due to how young that type of equipment is.

ca1ore
10/19/2015, 03:17 PM
4 years is not exactly long, especially at the cost of vortech products. I have pumps that have been running for over 15 years continuously. That is what I am looking for in a replacement return pump, along with low energy use. Sadly I am very disappointed with the numbers I see on the new vortech return pumps. I sure don't need most of the fancy features. The only one I can imagine ever using is the feed setting, just to keep the food from going directly to the sump. They are all irrelevant if the pump is not reliable long term.

Apples and orange though isn't it! Established AC pumps are going to last a long time (ran my old Iwaki for almost 20 years) because they run continuously and constantly. Vortechs are ramping up and down, so I'd not expect the same kind of useful life. They're also different tech than the Vectra so not sure how one bears on the other. Bottom line is that DC pumps haven't been around long enough to last 15 years, so until they have nobody can say for sure that they will.

slief
10/19/2015, 05:00 PM
The wave line motor block is made by the same company/factory that makes the one for the vectra from everything I have read. This in not the same company the makes jebo snd many other copies. To be honest it looks like the wave line is more efficient the the vectra. I for one font see that the vortec products are all that reliable and the vectra is unproven so far.

I just compared the new Waveline photos to the Jebao and it does appear that the Waveline block and volute is slightly different than the latest Jebao but on the other hand, the Waveline looks to be a completely different block with a different volute than the BLDC. As such, I'm at a loss. You could be right though in that the Wavelines are now originating from a different factory than the Jebao's. I just don't think Waveline is using the Hi Pool BLDC block like the Vectra.