PDA

View Full Version : QT tank,mixing salts,clowns won't eat!

expo703
10/12/2015, 09:48 AM
So I got a QT tank from petco this weekend..got a heater,powerhead,biowheel filter,with a carbon filter(will take that out if I need to dose meds). I set it up as a permanent for now. I used water from my main display and a sponge that was in my filter socks. I originally filled up my main with Instant Ocean without reef crystals but I might try out the reef crystals is that okay to mix(as I just ran out of salt)?

When getting new fish do you QT for 1-2 weeks without meds and if you see any odd behavior like not eating, or ich etc then you dose? or do you guys just dose every time? week 1? If i were to dose in a permanent tank (which will just have PVC in it and a removed filter I should remove my biowheel as well right? Then just do like a 50%+water change? Won't this basicly make me recycle the hole tank? What do you guys have in your permanent setup QT tanks?

My Clowns won't eat anything but flakes(in my main display). I tried pellets that came with my apex autofeeder I guess the pellets were to big? they just spit them out.. I got frozen brine shrimp and they didn't even attempt to eat them(they were defrosted). They will only eat flakes what should I do? They have been in my tank for about 2 weeks now and are pretty small I would say 1"

Thanks!

Wilsontank
10/12/2015, 10:46 AM
So I got a QT tank from petco this weekend..got a heater,powerhead,biowheel filter,with a carbon filter(will take that out if I need to dose meds). I set it up as a permanent for now. I used water from my main display and a sponge that was in my filter socks. I originally filled up my main with Instant Ocean without reef crystals but I might try out the reef crystals is that okay to mix(as I just ran out of salt)?

When getting new fish do you QT for 1-2 weeks without meds and if you see any odd behavior like not eating, or ich etc then you dose? or do you guys just dose every time? week 1? If i were to dose in a permanent tank (which will just have PVC in it and a removed filter I should remove my biowheel as well right? Then just do like a 50%+water change? Won't this basicly make me recycle the hole tank? What do you guys have in your permanent setup QT tanks?

My Clowns won't eat anything but flakes(in my main display). I tried pellets that came with my apex autofeeder I guess the pellets were to big? they just spit them out.. I got frozen brine shrimp and they didn't even attempt to eat them(they were defrosted). They will only eat flakes what should I do? They have been in my tank for about 2 weeks now and are pretty small I would say 1"

Thanks!

What's wrong with flake food ? My pair of clowns love it. But they also eat any frozen food too. They are way bigger than yours. They might be to little for brine shrimp to fit in their mouths. Just make sure you keep feeding flake food and throw in some frozen feed twice a week so they can get used to eating that as well .

expo703
10/12/2015, 10:55 AM
Well I heard you want to mix up their diet maybe I should just wait till they are bigger? Thanks so its fine if they eat flakes for next month or so? They don't eat the brine shrimp so I would just be netting it out and throwing it away if I tried it twice a week?

e048
10/12/2015, 10:57 AM
i quarantine and medicate if anything weird occurs

you can mix salt types just make sure to check salinity every mix and let the mix sit for a day or two before hand

try soaking the pellets in tank water so they get soggy then try feeding

nothing wrong with flakes for clowns they're most likely tank bred so they're used to eating that kind of food anyway

how big is your tank? how long has it been running?

Sk8r
10/12/2015, 10:57 AM
Be sure the fish is eating, IMHO, before you dose with a med that might depress appetite. CLowns are generally tank-bred on pellet or flake, but many fish are wild-caught. If you notice a symptom, consult Fish Disease section to determine WHAT it is and how to treat it and how to dose safely---not every med is compatible with every species and not every med is compatible with other meds.

expo703
10/12/2015, 11:33 AM
Sk8r - They are tank bred. I just read some people just use prazipro every time without observing? I have never had a QT tank before (I have it cycling now) and i'm new to salt so I wasn't sure what is the best way of going about it b.c i'm about to purchase some new fish soon!

Question about inverts that will be my next purchase I have a bit of algae growth..should I QT them? Or just drip acclimate and make sure temp is right?

try soaking the pellets in tank water so they get soggy then try feeding

Sweet I will give that a try!

how big is your tank? how long has it been running?
~25days 160gal!

e048
10/12/2015, 11:57 AM
You should have gotten a clean up crew before you added fish...

Usually with inverts I just drip them. Corals I'll do a dip

But if it's just a snail or hermits just look at em to make sure they don't have pyrmamtlid snails and then drip and add them

expo703
10/12/2015, 12:13 PM
You should have gotten a clean up crew before you added fish...

Usually with inverts I just drip them. Corals I'll do a dip

But if it's just a snail or hermits just look at em to make sure they don't have pyrmamtlid snails and then drip and add them

I know my LFS pushed me to get clowns in to help cycle..I went to like 3 LFS all said the same thing to get the cycle going in a bigger tank to add a bioload like fish/inverts. This weekend a different LFS even told me to add more fish I said no..and next thing I add would be inverts..I do have quiet a bit of algae growth so hopefully they will have enough food.

Thanks!

hkgar
10/12/2015, 01:08 PM
I start all fish in QT with frozen Mysis and once eating that, gradually work in the food(s) they will be getting in the DT - homemade 1x frozen and 2x pellet, nori and New Era Marine for the herbivores.

expo703
10/12/2015, 02:14 PM
I start all fish in QT with frozen Mysis and once eating that, gradually work in the food(s) they will be getting in the DT - homemade 1x frozen and 2x pellet, nori and New Era Marine for the herbivores.

Cool thanks!:bounce1:

e048
10/12/2015, 02:56 PM
Get a peppermint shrimp or two, cheap and good at cleaning up left overs, maybe spring for a half dozen astrea snails if your tank is getting algae

expo703
10/12/2015, 04:36 PM
Get a peppermint shrimp or two, cheap and good at cleaning up left overs, maybe spring for a half dozen astrea snails if your tank is getting algae

Is this hair algae? There are like brown(diatom it looks like but its not hairy like these guys) on my sand doesn't really show up in the pictures though

http://s27.postimg.org/5id7qcc6b/20151012_173214.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/w9mjmno9z/20151012_173255.jpg

e048
10/13/2015, 09:01 AM
I can't tell from the size if it starts to get hair like then probably hair algae

expo703
10/13/2015, 05:50 PM
I can't tell from the size if it starts to get hair like then probably hair algae

Does that help? Should I not worry about it its all over the sand and rocks will it die out? Should I turn off my lights? I have a dual reactor from BRS with just carbon running right now.. should I buy some GFO and put it in?

http://s1.postimg.org/3nm0a1u9n/20151013_182421.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3nm0a1u9n/)

http://s1.postimg.org/gdq8n527v/20151013_182429.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/gdq8n527v/)