PDA

View Full Version : Orbit Marine LED gen 1 question with rose tip anemone

Marchillo
10/12/2015, 01:42 PM
i want to get a rose tip anemone for my smaller 40g tank. There will be no other corals. Just have two gold striped maroons in the tank. And no other fish will be added. Tank up and running for just under a year.

I know the initial response is that light stinks. I agree it's limited. Would rather not buy a new light.

With that being said can I make this work? I use the leg mounts so the light sits on the tank. While the spread isn't ideal the space directly under the light should get a pretty good par value.

And thoughts if this will work? Anyone running this light with a rose tip anemone? I've seen mixed reviews on success.

I currently don't run these lights on full strength but assume Id have to ramp em up a bit.

Looking to get one within a day or so. Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

Marchillo
10/12/2015, 01:45 PM
Also should have mentioned. I have eggcrate with no screen so there is some diffusion. But not as much as a glass top etc.

LuciDog
10/12/2015, 03:06 PM
My opinion? No.

I keep nem's and their light requirement is specific. Those USA orbit fixtures are only 1 watt per LED. I wouldn't do it. I would shoot for a fixture with 3 watts per led.

heathlindner25
10/12/2015, 03:43 PM
My opinion? No.

I keep nem's and their light requirement is specific. Those USA orbit fixtures are only 1 watt per LED. I wouldn't do it. I would shoot for a fixture with 3 watts per led.

My opinion, maybe...
3 watt leds are usually driven at 2.2 watts and most people have them at 50%...
I think it more depends on the aquarist....I have terrible luck with bubble tips, but my lights are more than adequate...lol

Marchillo
10/12/2015, 04:16 PM
Well there you go. I called the company and the guy I spoke to said it probably wouldn't be enough. Based on the dimensions and how I have the light, he thinks the spread is more of the issue.

So here is my followup question for everyone. What can I use to supplement the light to make this work on the cheap. I would keep this and add another light.

Thanks - Steve

heathlindner25
10/12/2015, 04:17 PM
Is 75$ too much?

Marchillo
10/12/2015, 04:23 PM
Want to keep it south of $100 for sure.

heathlindner25
10/12/2015, 05:20 PM
EBay black box

LuciDog
10/12/2015, 06:26 PM
EBay black box

X2

I have comparable fixtures over my 120. Everything does well

Marchillo
10/12/2015, 06:36 PM
Is this the 165w fixture they list for $80-something?

Does it come with everything I need? Timer, hanging kit etc? What else would I need?

Basically this old setup cost a lot and I didn't want to take a huge loss when I upgraded. So I decided to get a pair of gold striped maroons that I didn't want to mix with other fish. So last thing I want to do is pour more money in. Already bought an mp10 with battery backup as an upgrade to protect against power loss. This has to be the last thing I buy for this. Lol.