PDA

View Full Version : Skimz external skimmer questions

rezac
10/13/2015, 05:37 PM
I have the sk202 external skimmer and I can't get it to stop overflowing. I got it last November, it has sat in my garage for about a month. I set it up yesterday and was overflowing like crazy. I called aquacave and he said to check my drain. Last night I ran it in vinegar water for about 5 hours, then ro water for about another 5. I redid the drain today and it's still overflowing. I have adjusted the air screw so it is all the way out and have the water level as low as it can go. Do you guys have any ideas? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/c68e878ce5d484d7873530c1b7e6d92c.jpg

ericarenee
10/13/2015, 05:42 PM
Two things.. It looks like you have the drain pipe reduced from 1 inch to 3/4 flex.. This needs to be the same all the way down to sump. Also closing the air valve will let more water thru and less foam head. ..

hope this helps.. i do not have this exact skimmer but do have a skimz skimmer
I would increase that drain size so its not reduced.. Try closing the air

Be sure that gate is all the way open

rezac
10/13/2015, 06:30 PM
It comes with a nipple to go from 1-1/4" to 3/4. I have it from 1-1/4" to 1" now. It worked perfectly at my other house when I was using it there. It settled down now that I look at it, that's awesome lol. Gate valve is all the way open and the air valve is almost fully closed. How would you go about adjusting it from here?

rezac
10/14/2015, 07:52 AM
I can't get it to settle down again. This thing is being annoying.

ericarenee
10/14/2015, 07:54 AM
i have heard people say there skimmer overflowed like this.. with it being external not sure how you could just let it run and see if it will break in and stop over flowing.

fisher4d
10/16/2015, 07:44 AM
Close the air valve as much as possible, open water valve all the way, then slowly open air valve over time

biecacka
10/16/2015, 09:27 AM
^^^^try that. That is what I did with my Beckett.

Corey

FirstContact
10/16/2015, 05:11 PM
If I remember correctly it's in the manual not to downsize the outflow or change the size of the fittings downward. Everyone's given good advice re: water level and air screw. I have an SK222, but I threw it in my sump and run a feed pump on it. That was what Albert at Aquacave recommended. Does a great job skimming, but like with many other oversized nw skimmers these days they just tend to go haywire every now and then. Over the years it's pulled out at least twenty gallons a couple of times; so, I drain it into a thirty gallon reservoir and set to dry skim. Also make sure the water level is where it needs to be, so it doesn't pull out too much. Once you settle in try not to adjust the water level upwards too much when the neck gets dirty.

rezac
10/25/2015, 12:23 AM
It may say that in the manual but it also worked fine for 6 months till I disconnected it and let it sit for a month and a half. I don't have it in my sump. I took it down for now since I don't have any place to put it. I let it overflow back into the sump from the skimmer cup. Tomorrow maybe I will mess around with it for a while since my other skimmer pump took a crap and now I'm waiting on my new one.

DamonG
10/25/2015, 04:51 AM
I will have to check the manual, but if it's like the other skimz skimmers(and i could be wrong as i haven't checked the manual once again), but you don't close the air valve, but open it.

Try and reverse or, open the air valve like half a turn at a time. Once you get it to the point of not flowing over, gradually close it until it stabilizes?? Like tiny movements..