PDA

View Full Version : New Guy goes to buy a fishie (they DO just want your money)

toothybugs
10/13/2015, 07:42 PM
Only I'm not new.

Quick background: I was meeting someone on my way home from work to drop off/ hand off a purchase of all my unused sand, so it seemed reasonable to find a fish shop between us for a meeting point. I got there a few minutes early so I decided to take a look around. Hadn't been to this place since March or so of last year, so I was "the new guy" to the shop owner.

It was just the two of us, so a quick Hi was followed by "what can I do for you?"

Here's the rest of the conversation as per best memory serves:

"I'm upping my 40 to a 75. It's modestly stocked for now and will be up in probably a few weeks so I have QT time and then they can go in after its been up a few days. The Wife wants a couple show fish for the bigger tank. What do you have for algae grazers or something showy and reef-safe?"

"Well tangs are always good, a tank that size you can have a Blue Hippo and a Yellow for a neat color contrast, or a Sailfin and a Blue Hippo. Stay away from any of the Powder tangs, they give each other ich."

"Don't sailfins get huge?"

"...Well yea, but, they only grow to the size of your tank. So these two little ones here would be fine in your 75." (That sailfin was already 7 inches long and the Hippo was 6...)

"Uh, what else do we have available?"

"Well I also have this nice Scopas tang..." and that's pretty much where I quit paying much attention.

Over the next few minutes I learned that I couldn't afford a Purple Tang (despite never being asked if I was interested, what my price range was, or anything else about me to possibly give such a suggestion), rabbitfish actually aren't venomous unless you get stabbed when the fish is out of the water, lionfish only eat shrimp, a Kole Tang would be fine if I just wanted a cheap (inferred "boring") fish, and an Emperor Angel (8" already) would be fine if I didn't have any corals.

I've been around the block, but this was the shop owner of a well respected Chicago-area store giving me this advice ((not Reefwise, and that's all you're gonna get ;) )). I was optimistic about it since it was an easy out-of-the-way diversion from my normal route home. Unfortunately, I won't be going back and I won't recommend to any of my friends that they do.

SO, moral of the story: they just want your money.

I debated not posting this but it was too ridiculous to resist.

stingeragent
10/13/2015, 07:57 PM
LOL. That is awesome. But awesome in a bad way. You should have your wife or someone go in next week, and be like.. yea I'm upgrading my 10 gallon tank to a 20 reef and want a show fish and see if they still recommend the tangs. ("how longs your tank?" 20in.. "yea that 7 in sailfin will fit, and youll still have 13in of space left for this hippo and yellow tang"

ericarenee
10/13/2015, 08:05 PM
LOL. That is awesome. But awesome in a bad way. You should have your wife or someone go in next week, and be like.. yea I'm upgrading my 10 gallon tank to a 20 reef and want a show fish and see if they still recommend the tangs. ("how longs your tank?" 20in.. "yea that 7 in sailfin will fit, and youll still have 13in of space left for this hippo and yellow tang"

Does this mean i just installed this

For nothing

All i have in there is 3 damsels a dwarf bi Color Angel fish and a Widdly bittie
15 Inch long Vlamingi tang....

Sheesh :lolspin:

OHH The floor is done now.. I left that strip so can get to tank while epoxy dries

stingeragent
10/13/2015, 08:16 PM
Off topic, but how do you like the pond setup? What was total cost if you don't mind me asking. I saw someone a while back that did a 10ft one from an above ground pool and it turned out great, but think he said it cost about 7k or so to setup.

ericarenee
10/13/2015, 08:35 PM
Off topic, but how do you like the pond setup? What was total cost if you don't mind me asking. I saw someone a while back that did a 10ft one from an above ground pool and it turned out great, but think he said it cost about 7k or so to setup.

Its been up for about 2 weeks now . Moved everything to it last week.. I have about 800.00 in it so far. the Tank was about 280.00 i think from Southern states. I bought this one because its Blue (looks nicer ) And has no Bump ins like the rubber maid ones..

I used 400 lbs of Play sand and 300 lbs of white Misc sand some i had some i bought ..
Two 500 w heaters and Controller
using a older but working great mag 12B Pump
Live rock came from my smaller pond that was in the Living room
Lights are 3 50 w 7000k Led 20.00 each from china.

I Am totally re doing that whole room. Still like some trim work then setting up there other smaller tanks....

Yea i think i am Becoming a FISH NUT

I Will post some more pics as i get things better organized and Scaped in the Pond itself Mrs Mingi is Happy but ****ed about being moved.. She tries to splash me on site.:lolspin:

OP Sorry for off topic ...

stingeragent
10/13/2015, 08:38 PM
Wow. 800 isn't bad at all considering the price you'd pay for just a tank that size.

Edit: Back on topic, I am lucky that the LFS I go to, the owner is a marine biologist, and his 4 staff members all have at least 4-5 tanks of their own. I am probably the minority though when it comes to a LFS.

gone fishin
10/13/2015, 08:54 PM
I had a guy a few years ago trying sell me button polyps that most people call aiptasia.

Erica I really like the pond you got going on. I have been toying with the idea of putting one in. I may have to pick your brain on it in the future.

ericarenee
10/14/2015, 08:09 AM
I had a guy a few years ago trying sell me button polyps that most people call aiptasia.

Erica I really like the pond you got going on. I have been toying with the idea of putting one in. I may have to pick your brain on it in the future.

Aiptasian Polyps... Bet those are Very Special... We have one VERY Good Reef SHOP... Aquatica is the name of it.. a few ok ones. and a FEW REALLY BAD ONES..

Thanks .. The pond is coming along nicely as well as the rest of the room.I want to change up the Drains and rock work... Soon going to tear the living room apart and do the tank at the same time.. will move everything to the pond work on living room then put it back.

chefbill
10/14/2015, 08:13 AM
I've been around the block, but this was the shop owner of a well respected Chicago-area store giving me this advice ((not Reefwise, and that's all you're gonna get ;) )). I was optimistic about it since it was an easy out-of-the-way diversion from my normal route home. Unfortunately, I won't be going back and I won't recommend to any of my friends that they do.

SO, moral of the story: they just want your money.

I debated not posting this but it was too ridiculous to resist.

Why a mental debate? This is simply an entertaining story. Unless you name names, there is no downside to anyone, and if a few people learn from your story, there is an upside.

expo703
10/14/2015, 10:03 AM
Can you PM me the name of the store? I'm new to saltwater/reef's and i'm soon to get fish/inverts... I'm from Chicago and been to a lot of them recently. Not sure who to trust!

Thanks

toothybugs
10/14/2015, 11:34 AM
Can you PM me the name of the store? I'm new to saltwater/reef's and i'm soon to get fish/inverts... I'm from Chicago and been to a lot of them recently. Not sure who to trust!

Thanks

Since I've gotten goofy info from enough sources (just nothing compared to this) and don't have much experience with ALL the stores in the area, I'll do ya one better - start a thread with your tank size and equipment (lights, sump or not, skimmer model, etc), your initial plans for livestock (fish, inverts, corals, clean-up gang), and let this forum be your guide. Really, I genuinely mean this. It will empower you to go to any store and know what you need, regardless if the guy running it is spouting BS or not. You will get experienced feedback on if your plans are good or if they need tweaking as well as the reasons for why. Nothing is more valuable.

lifeoffaith
10/14/2015, 12:36 PM
+1, you'll get much better advice from this forum.

chucko
10/14/2015, 01:26 PM
There is already a thread dedicated to just that:
PLEASE check out your intended fish purchases here first! (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112)

stingeragent
10/14/2015, 01:43 PM
That thread has been closed for a few weeks now

hkgar
10/14/2015, 03:48 PM
I am so glad to hear the advice from that LFS. I have been wanting to add a Salifin Tang to my 180 but have been concerned that it wasn't large enough - the tank, not the fish. I am going to run right out and get one, I am so excited I won't even bother to QT!

hkgar
10/14/2015, 03:49 PM
That thread has been closed for a few weeks now

Looks open to me?

my bad the thread is temporarily closed