PDA

View Full Version : Banggai Cardinal Erratic Swimming?

Khrysocome
10/14/2015, 08:21 PM
Hello,

I have a bit of a puzzle for you all - not sure at all what's wrong with my fish here, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, please let me know if I've posted this in the wrong spot.

I have a pretty new tank, successfully cycled fishlessly. I added a pair of Banggai cardinals purchased from the Diver's Den section of Liveaquaria.com. While they've been fairly shy, they've been eating well on Doc's Eco Eggs, PE Mysis, and Hikari frozen brine shrimp (once a week as treat) and I've had no problems with them for a little over a month. Today, I added a pair of Randall's gobies and a snapping shrimp, also from the Diver's Den. As soon as the new arrivals were acclimated and added, the larger Banggai cardinal began acting very strangely.

First, it began listing from side to side, then suddenly appeared as if it had the fish equivalent of a seizure. It immediately bleached of color and lay flush against a rock, appearing to breathe heavily. I kept an eye on it, believing it was on its way out, and then watched it return to its normal coloration and it began swimming normally.

Two hours later, the fish literally went belly up, blocked from reaching the surface by being under a piece of the rock work, drained of color. I went to grab my net, assuming it was definitely dead at this point. To my utter bewilderment, the fish AGAIN somehow revived itself, returning to normal coloration and swimming with its partner.

Apart from occasions where the fish randomly lists about and briefly appears to lose control of its ability to swim, the fish is again acting and appearing normally and has been for about four hours.

I'm at a loss as to what's wrong, and I didn't want to aggravate any problems by stressing it out with a net and moving it to my emergency 10 gallon tank, especially when it appears it's improving.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Khrysocome
10/14/2015, 08:30 PM
Sorry - forgot water parameters. All are Red Sea tests.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Between 2 - 5
pH - 8.1

And according to my refractometer:
Salinity - 1.025

None of the other fish, inverts (just snails and a tuxedo urchin) or corals appear to be distressed in any way.

Louis Z
10/14/2015, 09:41 PM
You should still QT and treat fish even if it's from DD . Don't just buy and add to tank . What you are speaking of sounds like what happens to baby Bangaii when not fed with foods high in DHA and EPA . You can try soaking the foods in selco before adding . I am guessing and do not know for sure that will help.

Khrysocome
10/15/2015, 07:43 AM
Thanks - I'll definitely be quarantining everything from here on out. I guess I bought into the whole DD super facility thing.

I looked up Sudden Fright Syndrome and it sounds a lot like what I witnessed - wouldn't it have exhibited symptoms earlier, though, or can it come and go as the fish ages?

The fish managed to survive the night, though it had another episode. I got a video of it so I'll upload that and transfer the poor guy over to my 10 gallon to see if I can treat him, or at least keep him from bumping into the rocks when he loses swimming ability.

Louis Z
10/15/2015, 08:56 AM
Maybe gut parasites and causing malnutrition. Try prazipro and metronidazole . Those are what I tryfirst .

Khrysocome
10/15/2015, 08:42 PM
Well, he died. I managed to get him into the 10 gallon okay where I started with the Prazipro and he even managed to eat a little, but he had another two episodes in a four hour period and didn't recover from the last one.

I have a video here of a spell he had this morning filmed by my husband right before I netted him out - it's pretty hard to watch, but if anyone can stomach it, I'd appreciate any insight so I can avoid any future issues.

https://youtu.be/f4vw3BGQsT0

Louis Z
10/16/2015, 12:12 AM
Did they ever have stringy poop? Unfortunately they go down quickly. The pair I have is from DD . As captive bred. Not wild. There is another thread on here about using levamisole for intestinal parasites

Khrysocome
10/16/2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. My pair was captive bred as well from DD - it may have had a thin, almost hairlike poop right before the spells started. I'll definitely be proactively treating new arrivals during quarantine from here on out. Should I treat the other fish for parasites at this time?

Louis Z
10/16/2015, 05:00 PM
If it was mine I would say yes. If they pooped in the tank then parasites in tank

Khrysocome
10/17/2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks so much for the advice - I put the other Banggai into my cleaned 10 gal and am planning to use it to preventively treat all new arrivals from now on. It was a tough lesson but I'm glad it happened to me early on and with a fish that isn't six figures :)

Louis Z
10/17/2015, 08:03 PM
I would add metronidazole to the mix if possible parasites in the gut . Do search on levamisole