PDA

View Full Version : advice on resealing 30 gallon aquarium

StickyDave
10/14/2015, 09:25 PM
I recently picked up a 30 gallon aquarium and hood for $10. It's 24 years old (inspection sticker still on it) and in good condition but had a small leak on the bottom. I went through all the hoops, completely removing all the old silicone and residue, marked my edges with masking tape, cleaned all surfaces with alcohol, and re-caulked with GE silicone 1- no additives.

I have never done this before, so it doesn't look fantastic, but appears to be seated well and is now curing. As I look over my work closely I can see 3-4 bubbles in my silicone approximately 1/16-1/8" large (note: for added safety, rather than looks, I used a large bead of silicone) and a couple of my lines appear rough on the surface instead of smooth. Will any of this be an issue and is there any other issues I should check for, in particular?

Thank you for your time, and wisdom!

stingeragent
10/14/2015, 10:52 PM
On a tank that small I think you will be fine. I also resealed an old 30 gallon (29 actually I think?), and did basically the same thing. Was my first time ever doing it, so it did not turn out the prettiest, but its held water for going on 2 years now. If your paranoid, fill it with water outside and let it sit for a couple weeks.

StickyDave
10/14/2015, 11:14 PM
Cool, that makes me feel better. Thank you for helping.

stingeragent
10/14/2015, 11:15 PM
Just let the silicone cure for several days before you leak test it. Since it did have a known leak before, I would for sure leak test it outside just to be on the safe side.