PDA

View Full Version : Guess it is time to join in

billiamstearns
10/17/2015, 09:10 AM
Hello all....name is Will....AND WE LOVE SEAHORSES HERE.....been involved with mostly seahorses all my life.....watched my dad gathering water from the Long Island Sound....bringing it home....filter it and let enough water evaporate to be usable in his tank......I was not so industrious and have only been doing saltwater for about 10-11 years.....mostly seahorses....h. erectus and h. reidi......I'm only half arse good at raising the fry.....I'm in the 25%-35% survival rate range.....my best brood yielded 64.....I have to thank Dan Underwood's videos and writings for my greatest leap in numbers....and the many threads I have read that I have been able to apply to my setup
I am just getting ready to start a cold water tank and adopt a group of 3 Big Bellies......any suggestions on cold water tanks would be helpful

vlangel
10/17/2015, 10:36 AM
Hello all....name is Will....AND WE LOVE SEAHORSES HERE.....been involved with mostly seahorses all my life.....watched my dad gathering water from the Long Island Sound....bringing it home....filter it and let enough water evaporate to be usable in his tank......I was not so industrious and have only been doing saltwater for about 10-11 years.....mostly seahorses....h. erectus and h. reidi......I'm only half arse good at raising the fry.....I'm in the 25%-35% survival rate range.....my best brood yielded 64.....I have to thank Dan Underwood's videos and writings for my greatest leap in numbers....and the many threads I have read that I have been able to apply to my setup
I am just getting ready to start a cold water tank and adopt a group of 3 Big Bellies......any suggestions on cold water tanks would be helpful

Sorry, I can't help with any cold water tank suggestions but I can say 'Hi' and glad to hear of another seahorse enthusiast! I would enjoy any pics of your ponies if ya have any.

pledosophy
10/20/2015, 06:12 AM
Hi Bill, Glad you decided to speak up and say hello

billiamstearns
10/20/2015, 07:15 AM
https://youtu.be/JMX6xNf2j-w

and maybe

https://youtu.be/dzZSUATIaJY

billiamstearns
10/20/2015, 07:22 AM
I have been very lucky with my seahorse hobby....in fact very much so I'm a bit over crowded.....so if anyone with experience with seahorses would like a few.....sorry...no newbies.....these are hand raised and eat frozen mysis....they are ready for a long and happy life....there birthday is July 17th....just over 3 months old

vlangel
10/20/2015, 01:19 PM
I have been very lucky with my seahorse hobby....in fact very much so I'm a bit over crowded.....so if anyone with experience with seahorses would like a few.....sorry...no newbies.....these are hand raised and eat frozen mysis....they are ready for a long and happy life....there birthday is July 17th....just over 3 months old

O my, what cute seahorses. They are such pretty colors and look very healthy. I raised a brood last winter and there is a lot of hard work involved. My hat is off to you for raising so many. I may try raising some again this winter but we are travelling more now and finding a sitter for seahorse fry and juveniles is a whole different ballgame so I don't know. Anyway congrats on your success at getting them to 3 months!