PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with new tahitian blue maxima clam.

pinetreex
10/17/2015, 11:59 AM
I purchased a 5 inch blue maxima clam that my lfs had for 5 days. I made sure it responded to my movements and checked to see if it had any pest pyramid snails.

The store had him under 36" 8bulb t5s and said that my 6bulb t5s would work. The brand of my lights are current nova extreme pros that are discontinued now and it has individual reflectors. 5 bulbs are ati(3 blue plus, purple plus and coral plus) and 1 is a standard 10k daylight bulb.

My tank is a 90 gallon bow and its been running for 2 years. I placed the clam towards the top, about 18" away from the lights. I also have a 14" haddoni carpet that has been with me for 2 years and has not moved at all while I only ran 4 bulbs out of 6 and no bleaching and perfectly healthy. Well its day 2 and my clam seems to be expelling long brown stringy stuff from one of its holes and I think its the symbiotic algae that its expelling. Is it really expelling zoos and I dont have enough lights?

oldbones
11/15/2015, 10:00 AM
If it IS expelling zoox, I would suspect it's from too much light too quickly, not too little.

Dfrazee
12/03/2015, 09:58 AM
I hear it's always best to acclimate new things to intense lighting. Clams must be harder considering they attach to things though haha.

C.Eymann
12/03/2015, 10:04 AM
I purchased a 5 inch blue maxima clam that my lfs had for 5 days. I made sure it responded to my movements and checked to see if it had any pest pyramid snails.

The store had him under 36" 8bulb t5s and said that my 6bulb t5s would work. The brand of my lights are current nova extreme pros that are discontinued now and it has individual reflectors. 5 bulbs are ati(3 blue plus, purple plus and coral plus) and 1 is a standard 10k daylight bulb.

My tank is a 90 gallon bow and its been running for 2 years. I placed the clam towards the top, about 18" away from the lights. I also have a 14" haddoni carpet that has been with me for 2 years and has not moved at all while I only ran 4 bulbs out of 6 and no bleaching and perfectly healthy. Well its day 2 and my clam seems to be expelling long brown stringy stuff from one of its holes and I think its the symbiotic algae that its expelling. Is it really expelling zoos and I dont have enough lights?
it's pooing
normal, had a crocea that did this every few days and I had that clam for 5 years.