PDA

View Full Version : Before I dive in...

Searchlights
10/17/2015, 12:25 PM
Hey guys, this is my second post ever! I learned a lot from my first post and I'm gonna go ahead and list off all the things I currently have for future reference so you guys can add or subtract from what you think is good or bad or not needed. I haven't started my tank up as of yet. But here's what I have so far.

55 gallon drilled with a 700 gph overflow from gl*******s.

1' drain pipe down to a filter sock into a 40 gallon breeder diy sump with a Bubble Magus Curve skimmer, a refugium compartment (that I haven't set up yet), and a Sicce Syncra return pump.

Odyssea quad T5 HO lights that I've had from my past in freshwater.

40 pounds of dry rock, and 20 pounds of live rock from live aquaria. (That i haven't ordered yet.)

I'm currently building my stand and I have a few questions.

1. What are some of the best test kits, and what all kinds do I need?

2. I plan on eventually having a reef and I was curious about dosing. What all do I need to buy to properly supplement the corals and such.

3. What kinds of foods do you all feed your fish? I've heard some fish are more picky than others.

4. What kind of lighting is needed for a refugium?

5. How many reactors do I "need"? I plan on having one for phosphate. But do I need anymore for other things?

That's pretty much all I can think of now. Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Bogue Chitto
10/17/2015, 01:19 PM
I think the red sea test kits are good, or maybe the Hanna checkers. A good variety of frozen food would be good, but start off slow. A clamp on fixture is good for lighting the refugium. Wait and see how your tank progresses before you buy too many gadgets. Once you get it cycled, feed sparingly to avoid high nitrates and phosphates.

Searchlights
10/17/2015, 03:15 PM
I think the red sea test kits are good, or maybe the Hanna checkers. A good variety of frozen food would be good, but start off slow. A clamp on fixture is good for lighting the refugium. Wait and see how your tank progresses before you buy too many gadgets. Once you get it cycled, feed sparingly to avoid high nitrates and phosphates.
Ok awesome. I was just trying to cover my bases so I don't end up with alot of problems and headaches lol. I've seen some of the crazy algae and parasites that people have on here. So I was just seeing if I could prevent or at least tone down any bad things from happening.

Sk8r
10/17/2015, 04:34 PM
I use Salifert tests, Kent supplements, Oceanic reef salt.
I do recommend the SETTING UP sticky atop this forum, which will tell you about equipment, tradeoffs, and procedures.

tennesseebob
10/17/2015, 07:49 PM
Is that 55 already drilled, or do you still have to do that. The reason I ask is because most 55g tanks are tempered glass, in which case it can't be drilled.

Bent
10/17/2015, 09:21 PM
Is that 55 already drilled, or do you still have to do that. The reason I ask is because most 55g tanks are tempered glass, in which case it can't be drilled.

I drilled mine no problems.

But he is right, many are. Check and recheck first.

stingeragent
10/17/2015, 09:23 PM
Bent, do you have a pic of your tank anywhere? Don't think I've ever seen it.

Bent
10/17/2015, 09:25 PM
Yeah might be able to dig one up.

Edit:
http://youtu.be/pZzwmtXIhDI

Sorry ahead of time for the blaring "inside out" movie in the background. Courtesy of my 4 y/o.

Searchlights
10/18/2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah it's already drilled. My cousin got a kit from glass holes.com and drilled it himself. This particular tank has only the bottom glass tempered. And thanks about the stickies! I read over a few of them when i first joined here but completely forgot about them [emoji14]

Searchlights
10/18/2015, 06:56 PM
Yeah might be able to dig one up.

Edit:
http://youtu.be/pZzwmtXIhDI

Sorry ahead of time for the blaring "inside out" movie in the background. Courtesy of my 4 y/o.
How many pounds of rock do you have in that bad boy?

Bent
10/18/2015, 07:06 PM
How many pounds of rock do you have in that bad boy?

Well the display tank is only half the equation.

I have it draining through the wall down to the basement. I have a 50g stock tank for a sump, a 30g for a display refugium, and a 10g for a chaeto ball. Two return pumps. About 100g total. I think I have about 150lbs of Rock in the system.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Tackett1980/C9E88968-94ED-4A35-A044-243D7DB2E700.jpg

Bent
10/18/2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah it's already drilled. My cousin got a kit from glass holes.com and drilled it himself. This particular tank has only the bottom glass tempered. And thanks about the stickies! I read over a few of them when i first joined here but completely forgot about them [emoji14]

Those glass holes kits are nice. I used most of their stuff to fix my overflow. The guide was great.

Searchlights
10/18/2015, 07:11 PM
Well the display tank is only half the equation.

I have it draining through the wall down to the basement. I have a 50g stock tank for a sump, a 30g for a display refugium, and a 10g for a chaeto ball. Two return pumps. About 100g total. I think I have about 150lbs of Rock in the system.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Tackett1980/C9E88968-94ED-4A35-A044-243D7DB2E700.jpg
And some Blue Moon [emoji14]

Bent
10/18/2015, 07:13 PM
And some Blue Moon [emoji14]

Lol yes indeed.

Searchlights
10/18/2015, 07:14 PM
Those glass holes kits are nice. I used most of their stuff to fix my overflow. The guide was great.
Yessir. I personally didn't drill it. It was already drilled and installed when I got it (my cousin drilled it himself previously). But it looks really well done. The overflow box looks just as good as any other.

Bogue Chitto
10/18/2015, 07:15 PM
That sure is neat. I have got to get mine more organized...

Bent
10/18/2015, 07:17 PM
Yessir. I personally didn't drill it. It was already drilled and installed when I got it (my cousin drilled it himself previously). But it looks really well done. The overflow box looks just as good as any other.

Yeah my next tank I may do the same thing again.

tennesseebob
10/19/2015, 01:41 AM
I used a gl*******s kit on my turtle tank, it later became a fish tank, then my first attempt at a salt tank...FOWLR