PDA

View Full Version : Total noob at controllers, needs a idiots guide!

Deitta
10/18/2015, 12:09 AM
I really hate the online start up guides; follow manufacturers directions...? WHICH manufacturer, the Apex or Apple? Do I leave the tip on temp probe? Cause it does not say to remove it but it won't fit in the probe holder unless I do.? Follow the directions, when does the probe actually get put in calibration solution, when do I pull it out? Why does it keep saying calibration failed, but can't find out what portion failed. Is there an idiots guide or guide for dummies? I love how they don't assume you know everything already and spell it out. And all the videos I have been able to see are just pitching the product, telling you what it can do, but now how to get it do actually do the thing. Beyond frustrated at the moment!

aqua1dude
10/18/2015, 06:59 AM
Bulk reef supply did a pretty good series on setting up an Apex. There are several videos from them that you may find helpful. Here is one on calibrating the PH probe https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VFu9KnB3A

SoloGarth
10/18/2015, 07:25 AM
Leave the tip on the temp probe. It needs to go into the probe holder backwards cable first. The apex has a very through manual that you should read.

kurt_n
10/27/2015, 10:54 PM
I really hate the online start up guides; follow manufacturers directions...? WHICH manufacturer, the Apex or Apple?

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to setup.

Do I leave the tip on temp probe? Cause it does not say to remove it but it won't fit in the probe holder unless I do.?

You wouldn't be the first to yank that plastic tip off the probe, but no... leave it on there. Nothing says you have to put it in the probe holder starting with the fat end! :lol2:

Follow the directions, when does the probe actually get put in calibration solution, when do I pull it out?

Probe can go in at any time. Pull it out after the calibration numbers have stabilized.

Why does it keep saying calibration failed, but can't find out what portion failed.

Because it doesn't matter. If the calibration failed, you need to do both high and low over again regardless of which portion failed.

Is there an idiots guide or guide for dummies? I love how they don't assume you know everything already and spell it out. And all the videos I have been able to see are just pitching the product, telling you what it can do, but now how to get it do actually do the thing. Beyond frustrated at the moment!

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/

Download the 'Comprehensive Reference Manual'. It is truly comprehensive.

figuerres
11/05/2015, 09:32 AM
Leave the tip on the temp probe. It needs to go into the probe holder backwards cable first. The apex has a very through manual that you should read.

actually (at least with the one I have) the probe holder has one hole that is larger and the temp probe goes in the same way as the others.

take a look and you will see what I mean.

figuerres
11/05/2015, 09:38 AM
I really hate the online start up guides; follow manufacturers directions...? WHICH manufacturer, the Apex or Apple? Do I leave the tip on temp probe? Cause it does not say to remove it but it won't fit in the probe holder unless I do.? Follow the directions, when does the probe actually get put in calibration solution, when do I pull it out? Why does it keep saying calibration failed, but can't find out what portion failed. Is there an idiots guide or guide for dummies? I love how they don't assume you know everything already and spell it out. And all the videos I have been able to see are just pitching the product, telling you what it can do, but now how to get it do actually do the thing. Beyond frustrated at the moment!

calibrating the conductivity probe is the one that gave me problems, ph was not a problem.

I am actually going to re-calibrate the conductivity probe this weekend as my current value is a bit off and now I have a better idea how to do it.

also I think it's better to run the temp probe on the same box as the conuctivity so that we get temp. compensation but then you have to also know that the default temp probe is not hooked up and you can fix the dashboard to hide the default one and re-name the other one ..... details that I found from trial and error.

SoloGarth
11/06/2015, 09:20 PM
actually (at least with the one I have) the probe holder has one hole that is larger and the temp probe goes in the same way as the others.

take a look and you will see what I mean.

This is probe holder specific. I have two probe holders and neither are made like that. I would imagine that a Neptune probe holder would be built that way.