PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in QT w/ Cupramine

thabizness
10/18/2015, 10:39 AM
My DT got hit with ick so now I'm on day 24 of a fallow DT cycle. My fish are in a 75 gallon QT tank that I added a few pieces of filter floss that I had in the sump of my DT to to seed. The fish are yellow tang, power blue, hippo, naso, melanarus wrasse, 2 clowns. None of the fish show signs of ick (the ones that did died) but running copper because I have tangs.

I have a seachem badge to show ammonia levels. They always show at Alert (.05) despite water changes. I typically do 30-35 gallons either once or twice per week depending on my worry level. Even right after water change they still register alert. I even went out and got another badge just incase the first one was flawed.

Wondering the groups thoughts on next steps? I know I cant use prime...

bertoni
10/18/2015, 08:15 PM
Have you run an ammonia test? How much filter floss is in the system? You might need to add more, or add some sort of bio-media.

thabizness
10/19/2015, 09:08 AM
I am only using the seachem badges for ammonia readings. With the copper in there I have read most ammonia tests will read wrong. I have both chambers filled with filter floss in the HOB filter plus the bio wheels installed.

bertoni
10/19/2015, 05:45 PM
How long have the floss and the bio-wheels been running?

I didn't think that copper interfered with ammonia readings. I'll take a look around.

Mrs. Music
10/19/2015, 06:12 PM
I had great results with Seachem Stability. No ammonia after I started using it on my treatment tanks, and QT.

thabizness
10/19/2015, 06:38 PM
U know what? On day 25 of the QT tank the Seachem ammonia badge changed to yellow which is "Safe" or < .02 ppm. The bio filter finally caught up.

Guess I need to practice more patience.

bertoni
10/19/2015, 06:56 PM
Okay, that's good news. :)