PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another 40B LED lighting Suggestion Request

ReeferRN
10/19/2015, 04:13 PM
I am experiencing the dreaded 36" tank lighting dilemma. The challenge of course is selecting adequate lighting while keeping the budget in check for this length of display tank. Were I to have a ~24" tank, my decision would be a whole lot simpler. Here is my criteria, I would appreciate any suggestions:

1) LED lighting
2) Streamlined form factor - No hood. Lighting will either be attached to the back of the tank or hung from the ceiling. Tank is in the living room and so visual appeal is highly regarded
3) Budget is ~$600.
4) Full spectrum
5) Can support SPS which I plan to attempt in the future
6) Programmable set points - Presently I don't have an Apex, perhaps in the future, but I can't rely on that requirement.

Options presently under consideration and rationale/concerns:
1) The new AI Hydra Fifty-Two HD: Rather enticing choice but I have concerns about it not covering the 36" span evenly with shadowing at the edges being a single unit. Also, is that much power overkill for a 16" deep tank? Dual Hydra 26 HD would be nice, but are over budget.
2) AI Prime x 2: Nice on the budget, though concerns over SPS capability. Probably not the way to go.
3) Maxxpect Razor R420r (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25292)- Presently the 27" 10k 160W version is onsale for $407.99. Any issues on going 10K over the 16K (16K not on sale :sad2:)? Doesn't have quite the functionality as the AI, but highly considering this option
4) Reefbreeders - I currently have a 48" Photon on my 120g but would like something different for the 40B. Same goes for OceanRevive, etc.
5) Kessil - I like the idea of the kessils but for the price I feel it's lacking controllability and variation compared to other options. I admit I am not fully versed on Kessil, but I think I would go with 2 A160s, controller, goosenecks, but would also have to make a selection on spectrum (deep blue, ocean blue, etc.) that you're pretty much stuck with. The A360 looks amazing but would blow the budget. Same with with the new AP700.
6) Cheap chinese fixture - You get what you pay for, probably not going this route.

So this is my dilemma. Am I missing any options I should be considering? If I were to make my choice today, I would be leaning towards the Maxxspect Razor R420r 27" 160W 10k fixture as it's on sale and matches most of my criteria for the value. Thoughts?

moondoggy4
10/19/2015, 08:28 PM
Sorry to throw you a curve ball but maybe this light but not the dimmable version.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_36_Inch_Dimmable_SunPower_T5_High_Output_Fixture_w_Controller_36_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtu res-ATI-UZ3307-FILTFIT56U-vi.html

The 6 bulb will grow SPS no problem.

PeterHall
10/19/2015, 09:32 PM
I would probably do 2 cheap chinese black boxes. I really enjoy my taotronics off amazon. I've been eyeing the mars aqua off ebay. They seem to work just as well as my radion.

I wonder if you could two radion xr15s.

moondoggy4
10/19/2015, 11:45 PM
The Kessil 160 are adjustable not single spectrum like the 150's which are not dimmable or adjustable.

For my 40 breeder build I am using a 24'' 150 MH w/4 X24 T-5's.

Ron Reefman
10/20/2015, 06:55 AM
If you are going to rule out the IT2081 and the Photon32, I don't know if there is another really good option.

ReeferRN
10/20/2015, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all your input. It looks like I've just about adequately addressed all options for my application given my criteria. A new idea I had is to start with a single AI Hydra TwentySix HD, ceiling mounted so that that I can bring it up high to get acceptable coverage. In time (several months), I can add an additional unit as budget allows. This will put me over budget by ~$160 but I think in the end I will be very satisfied with the outcome.

moondoggy4
10/20/2015, 05:15 PM
That is a good idea No need to start with both lights right away, it will take time to settle the tank in and when your budget is ready you could always add the next light.

Burr Ridge Fish
10/21/2015, 07:26 PM
used kessil a350s on goosenecks. would me my choice
really how often do you want to control the lights, the turn dials work great , kessils look good and have shimmer.