PDA

View Full Version : What Strontium Test Kit Do You Use?

JaysLittleOcean
10/20/2015, 10:01 AM
I recently purchased a Salirfert Strontium Test Kit and gave it a go yesterday. I found the colors a bit difficult to discern and the test takes an extremely long time. What are you experiences with this test kit? Are their other Strontium Test Kits on the market that you would recommend over the Salifert brand?

tmz
10/20/2015, 10:39 AM
I don't test for it or dose it.

JaysLittleOcean
10/20/2015, 10:59 AM

Thank you for the input.

Nano sapiens
10/20/2015, 12:30 PM

Used to long ago, but haven't in well over a decade.

Back-in-the-day it was believed that Strontium was vitally important for stony coral health and it was assumed that it was depleted from reef aquaria over time. Subsequent testing has revealed that in most tanks with regular WC's this is typically not the case (compared to NSW).

bertoni
10/20/2015, 03:35 PM
I used that kit for a while. It is difficult to use, but I was able to get good readings from the first one I bought. Another kit seemed to be more problematic. I stopped measuring and dosing a long time ago. This article covers strontium:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/11/chemistry

Reef Frog
10/20/2015, 04:47 PM
Many 2 part additives and other calcium supplements incorporate strontium in their products.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it could actually build up over time in an aquarium using these products that also does large(ish) water changes on a regular basis? Can it build up over time to levels that are problematic in these circumstances?

Can high levels harm Stoney corals, or is it more like calcium & magnesium, where levels a little higher than those found in NSW is no big deal?

Nano sapiens
10/20/2015, 04:59 PM
All your questions will be answered here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/11/chemistry

bertoni
10/20/2015, 06:40 PM
We don't know what harm, if any, high strontium levels might cause, but if the tank is getting regular water changes, I don't think there's any cause for worry. Coralline and stony coral use strontium because it is very similar to calcium, chemically. I don't think it's particularly toxic.