PDA

View Full Version : ICH free controlled environment.

DOGGIE750
10/20/2015, 12:29 PM
I'll get to the point

1. Bare bottom
2. Ozone or UV

With these, you do not need to Quarantine your fish.

FishN00b83
10/20/2015, 12:33 PM
This is simply not true at all.

Bare bottom doesnt prevent ich. If you have a fish with ich they will still fall off and cyst on the glass...period

Ozone and UV will not get rid of ich. If you put something in your tank with the parasite it will still populate and effect everything in the tank...end of story.

The only way to make sure you dont have ich or any other parasite in your tank is to QT everything for 5-6 weeks minumum and proactively treat for ich with TTM.

Practicing the above post will burn you in the long run...

sde1500
10/20/2015, 01:01 PM
Well this should get interesting...

FYI ich isn't the only reason people QT fish.

Taahirs
10/20/2015, 01:03 PM
This is simply not true at all.

Bare bottom doesnt prevent ich. If you have a fish with ich they will still fall off and cyst on the glass...period

Ozone and UV will not get rid of ich. If you put something in your tank with the parasite it will still populate and effect everything in the tank...end of story.

The only way to make sure you dont have ich or any other parasite in your tank is to QT everything for 5-6 weeks minumum and proactively treat for ich with TTM.

Practicing the above post will burn you in the long run...

Agreed 100%

hkgar
10/20/2015, 01:30 PM
This is saltwater reefing there just ain't no short cuts that don't end up biting you in the arse.

nuxx
10/20/2015, 01:33 PM
I'll get to the point

1. Bare bottom
2. Ozone or UV

With these, you do not need to Quarantine your fish.

Uh oh... preparing for the :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

CedzAquAddictio
10/20/2015, 01:50 PM
You dropped this on us and walked away without any further explanation, supporting evidence, rationalization, or proof.

Surely, you're joking, right??? Please tell us you aren't serious... Please tell us you aren't serious...

WTH, I'll tag along just to enjoy the show...

lespaul339
10/20/2015, 01:54 PM
:crazy1:

If it were only that easy.

DOGGIE750
10/20/2015, 02:38 PM
Uh oh... preparing for the :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

we are in this battle together............Together we unite as one to fight the ICH.

FishN00b83
10/20/2015, 02:47 PM
:facepalm:

TheReeferer
10/20/2015, 03:27 PM
Mathematically you can size a uv against the tank size so that there is so much flow through the uv that ich is effectively 0 in the dt.

Let's not forget ich is not multiplying instantaneously

stingeragent
10/20/2015, 03:57 PM
Mathematically you can size a uv against the tank size so that there is so much flow through the uv that ich is effectively 0 in the dt.

Let's not forget ich is not multiplying instantaneously

False. For one, UV effectiveness is based on a slow flow. If there is too much flow, it is not effective. Furthermore, it is impossible to get every ML of water to go through that UV, even if you could pump it at thousands of gallons per hour. There is a spot that would be missed.

As to the OP, I'm fairly certain ich doesn't need a sandbed to survive. It would just fall onto the glass, rocks still.

12 days with TTM is honestly not that long.

e048
10/20/2015, 04:21 PM
Its like troll science...

Ich seems to last longer in a sand bed, and a UV sterlilizer doesnt really do squat against ich

stingeragent
10/20/2015, 04:26 PM
I'm fairly certain I've read that Ich can be killed by UV in a certain stage, but it's impossible to get every square inch of a tank's water to flow through said UV. Well with time, it may be possible, but however long that would take, it would already be back on the fish, and starting all over.

CStrickland
10/20/2015, 04:42 PM
You dropped this on us and walked away without any further explanation, supporting evidence, rationalization, or proof.

Yup. I'd love to hear the explanation too.

Like, anybody can do this:

I'll get to the point:
1) no rock and roll
2) more church
With these you don't need to worry about teen pregnancy!

I'll get to the point:
1) only eat organic
2) don't watch mainstream news
With these you don't need to vaccinate your kids!

I'll get to the point:
1) don't ride motorcycle on the highway
2) pay attention to your rear view
With these you don't need to wear a helmet!

I could do this all day lol

CedzAquAddictio
10/20/2015, 04:50 PM
Yup. I'd love to hear the explanation too.

Like, anybody can do this:

I'll get to the point:
1) no rock and roll
2) more church
With these you don't need to worry about teen pregnancy!

I'll get to the point:
1) only eat organic
2) don't watch mainstream news
With these you don't need to vaccinate your kids!

I'll get to the point:
1) don't ride motorcycle on the highway
2) pay attention to your rear view
With these you don't need to wear a helmet!

I could do this all day lol

:beer:

DOGGIE750
10/20/2015, 07:17 PM
With this set up, ICH doesn't stand a chance to thrive.
Ich falls off from the fish and goes through the Light. I have a friend that has this set up and he's been successful for years.

shifty51008
10/20/2015, 07:31 PM
There is no way your gonna get all the water through the uv light before the ich has a chance to reattach to the fish.

I would say your friend has just been lucky for years.

stingeragent
10/20/2015, 07:32 PM
Agreed. Unless his fish all live inside the uv filter, its not possible

hogfanreefer
10/20/2015, 08:15 PM
By all means, buy a powder blue and a Hippo tang and just plop them in your tank. :-)

Bent
10/20/2015, 08:17 PM
Obvious troll is obvious dude.

Don't feed it and it will go away.

ridetheducati
10/20/2015, 08:20 PM
Obvious troll is obvious dude.

Don't feed it and it will go away.

This

hkgar
10/21/2015, 08:18 AM
I have been doing this for 15 years and for the first 13.5 never had an Ick problem and never QTed my fish. Based on the OP's observations after 13.5 years of no QT and no Ick, what I was doing would prevent Ick. Then bought a Powder Blue at my LFS - had just upgraded to a 180 from a 90 - as I figured I finally had room. He was the last fish I added and had about 10. It wasn't long before I had 9 dead fish. It was Ick that did them in. Guess what, I use TTM and QT religiosly now. You play Russian Roulette and sooner or later you are dead.

Please understand Ick WILL get you if you don't do it right. I said it in an earlier post -but now I will shout it THIS IS SALTWATER REEFING, THERE AIN'T NO SHORTCUTS, I repeat NO SHORT CUTS!. Not now and never will be.

CedzAquAddictio
10/21/2015, 08:33 AM
Agree with hkgar. Honestly, folks, it's probably time for me to move on to more fertile threads. No offense to the OP, but we've gotten little more than a 2 line recipe to avoid ich followed up with my friend does it this way, and doesn't have ich. Not enough meat in this recipe to call it hamburger. I fear we are all getting set up for a meal of black beans and brown rice between two buns and will all end up with explosive gas.

FishN00b83
10/21/2015, 11:05 AM
Agree with hkgar. Honestly, folks, it's probably time for me to move on to more fertile threads. No offense to the OP, but we've gotten little more than a 2 line recipe to avoid ich followed up with my friend does it this way, and doesn't have ich. Not enough meat in this recipe to call it hamburger. I fear we are all getting set up for a meal of black beans and brown rice between two buns and will all end up with explosive gas.

Free food? Im here!!!

:spin3: