PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best…..?

Reefer525XL
10/20/2015, 03:37 PM
Method to catch a Yellow Head Goby in a 300g tank. He is making a mess and covering all my corals with sand. I need to catch the little sucker ASAP

stingeragent
10/20/2015, 03:54 PM
I'd cry personally. LOL. In all my tanks I have never been able to catch any fish except a clown without having to pull 50% of the rock out. And that was in a 20 or 40 gallon tank. Can't imagine doing it in a 300.

Reefer525XL
10/20/2015, 06:36 PM
I've been after him with a net and thongs for the past few days and nothing… Seems like everyday he gets smarter and faster.

murdock84
10/20/2015, 06:40 PM
If he comes out in the dark, try turning the lights out and catch him in the dark. Sometimes shining a flashlight on the stuns them enough to get to them.

Bogue Chitto
10/20/2015, 06:47 PM
I can sympathize with you. I have a sand sifter in my tank and boy does he sift....more like shift. ha! It looks like it's snowed in there. Can't do anything about it though. I still think he is a cool fish.

Reefer525XL
10/20/2015, 06:47 PM
I stood in front of the tank last night and this morning while the lights were off and I could not see him. I'll keep trying though, sooner or later I'll get him. (I hope lol)

kmbyrnes
10/21/2015, 05:29 AM
Very very tiny hook and a mysis shrimp?

Ocean envy
10/21/2015, 06:21 AM
The trick is to convince him to come to you, rather than you chasing him.

You should play the short con:cool:

You find him hanging out at one of his normal spots and quietly, slowly place there a good sized net, bottom edge down facing him, in which you place his last meal in your tank, such as a nice cube of mysis. He may run into the rocks, but there is a good chance he will come back out shortly. If he moves further away, try again near him. Just stand there and wait holding the net. There is a very good chance that he will swim into feed within a few minutes and :blown: you have him. There is also a good chance some of your other fish will swim to the net before he does and you'll have to shoo them out.

It sounds a bit silly, like you may have to be there all day, but I have found this to work very well. I recently got a nasty little lizard fish, who I thought would act like a cute little goby, but like to launch himself teeth first into the other fish like a torpedo. It only took a few minutes to catch him with this method.

I've used fish traps before and they work, but in my experience take a lot more time and patience. Why not give it a go and prove that you too, are smarter than a fish!

nuxx
10/21/2015, 11:29 AM
See if you can section off parts of the tank with eggcrate and kind of corral him into an area you can get him.

Reefer525XL
10/21/2015, 04:43 PM
The trick is to convince him to come to you, rather than you chasing him.

You should play the short con:cool:

You find him hanging out at one of his normal spots and quietly, slowly place there a good sized net, bottom edge down facing him, in which you place his last meal in your tank, such as a nice cube of mysis. He may run into the rocks, but there is a good chance he will come back out shortly. If he moves further away, try again near him. Just stand there and wait holding the net. There is a very good chance that he will swim into feed within a few minutes and :blown: you have him. There is also a good chance some of your other fish will swim to the net before he does and you'll have to shoo them out.

It sounds a bit silly, like you may have to be there all day, but I have found this to work very well. I recently got a nasty little lizard fish, who I thought would act like a cute little goby, but like to launch himself teeth first into the other fish like a torpedo. It only took a few minutes to catch him with this method.

I've used fish traps before and they work, but in my experience take a lot more time and patience. Why not give it a go and prove that you too, are smarter than a fish!

I will give this a try but so far he doesn't seem to be interested in food.. All he does is sift sand. Even when I feed the tank he just stays in the sandbed while all the other fish come to eat

Shawn O
10/21/2015, 05:19 PM
I've been after him with a net and thongs for the past few days and nothing… Seems like everyday he gets smarter and faster.

Perhaps the thong is scaring it away. Try wearing something else.

Reefer525XL
10/21/2015, 07:56 PM
Perhaps the thong is scaring it away. Try wearing something else.

oh crap! lol I meant TONGS

slief
10/21/2015, 09:02 PM
Get a good fish trap with a trap door that's controlled by fishing line and place a small mirror inside it. Place the trap in an area right by where it makes its home. Goby's are often territorial and the sight of another one just like it will most certainly peak it's curiosity. Stay near the the tank with line in hand. In no time and he will most certainly venture into the trap to attack himself. I've used this method to catch countless fish and it works like a charm. Even in my 480 gallon display. If you need to, place some mysis shrimp in the trap.

Something like this one with a small makeup mirror taped to the back of it will work like a charm. You might also check your local reef forum/group as well as your local LFS as you can often borrow a decent trap.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=MD86004&child=MD81081&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=MD81081&gclid=CI_F6NCN1cgCFRApaQodPUoKjQ

rickztahone
10/21/2015, 09:08 PM
You may want to brush up on some Wile E. Coyote and the roadrunner episodes ;)

Bogue Chitto
10/22/2015, 05:23 PM
oh crap! lol I meant TONGS

That's funny!!

Bogue Chitto
10/22/2015, 05:25 PM
That's a good one too rick.

saltwatersmac
10/22/2015, 06:20 PM
I partitioned off the front corner of my tank with the glass tops to catch a cleaner wrasse. I left a small place for him to get in and baited it. Use a small piece of glass to close off the inlet once he went in to eat. It was easy to net him out of the smaller area with no rock.

Reefer525XL
10/22/2015, 07:51 PM
Get a good fish trap with a trap door that's controlled by fishing line and place a small mirror inside it. Place the trap in an area right by where it makes its home. Goby's are often territorial and the sight of another one just like it will most certainly peak it's curiosity. Stay near the the tank with line in hand. In no time and he will most certainly venture into the trap to attack himself. I've used this method to catch countless fish and it works like a charm. Even in my 480 gallon display. If you need to, place some mysis shrimp in the trap.

Something like this one with a small makeup mirror taped to the back of it will work like a charm. You might also check your local reef forum/group as well as your local LFS as you can often borrow a decent trap.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=MD86004&child=MD81081&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=MD81081&gclid=CI_F6NCN1cgCFRApaQodPUoKjQ

Thanks Scott… I will see if I can borrow a trap from a friend if not I'll just order that one from Marine Depot.

slief
10/22/2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks Scott… I will see if I can borrow a trap from a friend if not I'll just order that one from Marine Depot.

Glad to help. It should work like a charm. As I said, it's worked great for me over the years.