PDA

View Full Version : Is my clam dying?

Neutralised
10/20/2015, 08:55 PM
Hi, I am new in clam.. and recently I had acquired 2 big clams.. I would say they are doing well in my tank in the first 2 days.. but however this morning when I checked.. one of the clam mantle actually retract and the shell is not closing. The other is doing ok.. I don't think is normal right? Can anyone help me?

Neutralised
10/20/2015, 08:59 PM
here is the photo of my clam

SoloGarth
10/20/2015, 09:45 PM
So yes that looks like pinched mantel syndrome. I don't believe there is a known cause or treatment for this. Just theories.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

SoloGarth
10/20/2015, 09:46 PM
Take a pic of the inhalant siphon if you can. When they are going to die the inhalant siphon "gapes". Not that it can't die without seeing that, just when you do see it the clam is in serious trouble.

ca1ore
10/20/2015, 10:54 PM
It's not pinched mantle - it's dead mantle. When the inner tissues recede from the inner surfaces of the shell, its a gonner already. Sorry to say.

Neutralised
10/20/2015, 11:00 PM
It's not pinched mantle - it's dead mantle. When the inner tissues recede from the inner surfaces of the shell, its a gonner already. Sorry to say.

it just happen like that? yesterday when lights off its still ok... and when i checked on it this morning.. its like that.. OMG.. i am at wits end on the cause of it.

SoloGarth
10/21/2015, 07:19 AM

I've never heard of this. Do you have a reference?

ca1ore
10/26/2015, 10:04 PM
it just happen like that? yesterday when lights off its still ok... and when i checked on it this morning.. its like that.. OMG.. i am at wits end on the cause of it.

Clams are notorious for looking fine one day, then dead the next. So yes, it can happen just like that. One of the things to look for in a healthy clam is a line of new, white calcium growth on the leading edge of the shell. Yours did not have this in the photo, so I'd think the clam had been declining for a while.

ca1ore
10/26/2015, 10:09 PM

Been keeping clams for three decades and have had my fair share of them do this - that's my 'reference'. Once the internal tissues recede from the shell it's dead already. Never seen or heard of one recovering from that point. Pinched mantle looks quite different.

SoloGarth
10/26/2015, 11:22 PM
Been keeping clams for three decades and have had my fair share of them do this - that's my 'reference'. Once the internal tissues recede from the shell it's dead already. Never seen or heard of one recovering from that point. Pinched mantle looks quite different.

I didn't question that the clam was not healthy. I had never heard of "dead mantle" though.

ca1ore
10/27/2015, 05:59 PM
Made it up (attempting to be clever .... and apparently failing). Dead mantle = dead clam.

Giovanni
10/27/2015, 07:11 PM

No reference needed if you have had a clam or two die. If you can see that much of the inside of the shell it is a goner. You know what it looks like. Sorry about your clam.

SoloGarth
10/27/2015, 10:15 PM
No reference needed if you have had a clam or two die. If you can see that much of the inside of the shell it is a goner. You know what it looks like. Sorry about your clam.

I understand this and wasn't arguing that the clam looked healthy. I just don't think it is a good idea to make up ailments for which there is no empirical data. That clam could have gotten to that state due to pinched mantle or rough handling or stress. We don't know.

I have kept clams as well. I know what it looks like when they are going to die. But as I have never heard of "dead mantle" and could find nothing about it by doing a search I asked for a reference.

I don't believe it is in the best interest of the hobby to make things up. Just my opinion.

SoloGarth
10/27/2015, 10:17 PM
Made it up (attempting to be clever .... and apparently failing). Dead mantle = dead clam.

Ahh I understand. And concur.

Giovanni
10/28/2015, 05:41 AM
Sorry, I missed that you were not the OP and had merely hijacked the thread. :lmao:

SoloGarth
10/28/2015, 08:58 AM
Sorry, I missed that you were not the OP and had merely hijacked the thread. :lmao:

Perhaps reading the full thread might be a good idea. I was attempting to answer the OPs question and disagreed with someone else's statement. Didn't realize that was "hijaking".

Nina51
10/31/2015, 08:03 PM
boys, don't make me stop this car!

i'm surprised there aren't snails and/or crabs all over that clam. i had one that did well for a couple of years. got up one morning and there was not a single sign that there had EVER been anything inside the shell. it was completely empty and i saw hermit crabs laying around in recliners drinking beer and channel surfing.