PDA

View Full Version : Radion XR30 in canopy

ratienza80
10/21/2015, 01:33 PM
Is there a way to place 2-3 Radion XR30 lights on top of a tank with a low canopy? my 135 gal is 72" long so I was planning on putting 3 XR30 but my canopy is a little low. There is only about 5 inches of space between the water and the canopy. I have a glass cover on my tank so I don't think getting the radions wet will be an issue. But, is that still too close to the water for my tank? My tank is also 24inches deep.

Thanks!

Alex Y EcoTech
10/21/2015, 02:41 PM
Ratienza,

We always recommend having our Radions mounted at least 8 inches above the water's surface. This will allow for proper light spread and to help prevent water damage which may not be an issue since you are using glass lids.

mfinn
10/23/2015, 08:09 AM
Is there a way to place 2-3 Radion XR30 lights on top of a tank with a low canopy? my 135 gal is 72" long so I was planning on putting 3 XR30 but my canopy is a little low. There is only about 5 inches of space between the water and the canopy. I have a glass cover on my tank so I don't think getting the radions wet will be an issue. But, is that still too close to the water for my tank? My tank is also 24inches deep.

Thanks!

I have seen several different builds where a person has a canopy that is fairly low and still able to use a Radion fixture.
On those builds, the person usually cuts a hole in the top of the canopy that is just big enough to mount the fixture so the light shines down through it.

ratienza80
10/30/2015, 04:30 PM
I have seen several different builds where a person has a canopy that is fairly low and still able to use a Radion fixture.
On those builds, the person usually cuts a hole in the top of the canopy that is just big enough to mount the fixture so the light shines down through it.

That's a good idea. I think if I want to put some radions, I would have to modify my canopy. Or take it out completely.

Thanks for th advice!