PDA

View Full Version : 120g Rebuild is finally complete!

Dundermifflin
10/21/2015, 05:15 PM
I've had this 120g (fish only) that's built into our staircase going since our house was built in 2004. I shut the tank down in 2012. I had nothing more than a small sump with a protein skimmer and never used RODI water or a QT (not smart I know). Since 12/2014 I've been working on building an entirely new system and added the following equipment:

(2) 25g poly tanks for fresh water storage
(1) 55g food grade drum for salt mixing
(1) BRS 4 stage water saver plus 150GPD (best move I did!)
(1) 20g QT (sponge filter/aquaclear 30HOB filter/MJ 1200 for water changes)
(1) Eshopps New RS-300 sump
(1) Emperor Aquatics 40W UV sterilizer from BRS (Sicce Syncra 1.5 pump)
(1) G1 Protein Skimmer (rebuilt the older one w/new pump)
(1) Carbon Reactor from BRS (MJ 1200 pump)
(1) GFO Reactor from BRS (MJ 1200 pump)
(1) DIY ATO w/7g reserve (ATO from BRS)
(2) Turbo fans to circulate air in the closet
(1) Turbo fan over the sump
(1) Turbo fan over the QT

We don't have the biggest "Tank" closet (3.5'x8') so I had to be creative with the installations to allow for the most room possible when moving around inside.

Before, water changes were a nightmare. Used to have to get on a ladder and siphon water manually into a rubbermaid trash can. Very messy! I used to fill another trash can up with water and mix the salt. Then pour it back into the sump. Also very messy! I also used to get a lot of algae build-up on the glass very quickly which was a pain to clean given the tank's location. Now I very rarely get any.

Water changes are now simple. I built a "J" pipe and run a hose into my kitchen sink to empty the water. With different length attachments of 10g, 15g, 20g, 25g, and 35g, I can empty whatever water amount I want in a breeze. I've tried to automate the salt mixing and the adding of water back into the tanks as best I could. With the addition of extensive plumbing and many ball valves the water gravity feeds from the two 25g poly tanks into any of the following: Salt mixing drum, the QT, the sump, the ATO 7g reserve, and a misc. nozzle. The salt mixing drum has two MJ 1200 pumps. One to mix the salt and the other to pump it into either the sump or the QT. I've added a power management box so all I have to do is open a valve or two, flip a switch, and the water automatically goes from the salt mixing drum into the sump or QT. I do the same when I want to mix saltwater. Gravity feed into the drum and flip a switch to mix the salt. To change the QT water I put the already connected hose into a 5g bucket, flip a switch, and the water empties.

Will make some "minor tweaks" along the way as it never really ends!

I've attached a few pictures.

Thanks.

segen77
10/21/2015, 06:42 PM
Can you explain more about your "different lengths" and water changes? It's intriguing, but I don't understand how you have things setup.

Dundermifflin
10/21/2015, 08:25 PM
I've added a few pics to show you. Hopefully it makes it a little clearer.

In the first pic you'll see what it's like put together. While it's hanging on a hook you'll see about a 3' pvc pipe with a hose connected to one end and then a straight pipe connected to the other via an elbow (this one has two coned shape strainers connected to a T and goes into the tank). This straight pipe that goes into the tank is not glued to the elbow, T, or strainer so I can easily use different sizes.

In the second pic you'll see how it hangs onto the tank. What I do is take the 15' long hose and put it in my sink. I suck in a little air from the hose nozzle and the siphon starts. It automatically stops when it reaches the end of the straight pipe with the strainers on it.

In the third pic you'll see (4) different pipes in varying lengths. These are cut to specific lengths to allow for a specific percentage of water to be drained. They're cut to various length representing a 10%, 20%, 25% and 35% water change. I apologize, I think in my previous post I used "g" instead of "%".

When I'm ready to fill the tanks back up with new saltwater I simply open a couple valves and flip a switch on the power rack and the water automatically flows into the tanks. It's pretty quick and no mess whatsoever.

segen77
10/21/2015, 09:28 PM
That's a pretty great idea right there.

alexXx
10/21/2015, 11:18 PM
I agree with segen77

tennesseebob
10/22/2015, 12:25 AM
yeah, thanks for that, ill make myself a j-pipe for my tank tomorrow

Shawn O
10/22/2015, 09:52 AM
Fantastic idea, DM! Did you ever find a working solution for humidity in your fish room?

Dundermifflin
10/23/2015, 10:23 AM
Because of the size of the tank closet humidity sometimes is an issue, but not all that bad. I have fans going and I do have one vent. When I keep the door cracked open a few inches all is good. When we have guests over we close it and the humidity does build up somewhat. Have to get creative in finding another place to vent.