PDA

View Full Version : might have added too much reef buffer?

geekengineer
10/21/2015, 09:41 PM
Hey I just realized I got a weird problem I got high PH lik 8.9 (yikes) but low dKH 8 ish. So I think what happens is after my fish died I noticed that my KH was low and I wonder if that might been something. So I made a beginners batch of seachem reef buffer (edit: reef builder) to raise it up a bit. Now I am worried maybe I screwed up and got the mix wrong. That is the only way I can think of why I have such skewed PH vs. KH? Any thoughts. I don't know what I can do to lower the PH at this point. I assume I wouldn't want to do it too fast.

I tested the PH with both a meter and a test strip and they both read pretty high. I usually test with the strip but the PH isn't as obvious I guess to notice it was high and I been too distracted with other things lol. After my fish died I know it was reading about PH of 8.2 on my meter. My hermit crabs and Kenya tree seem to be doing ok so far...

bertoni
10/21/2015, 09:56 PM
A pH reading of 8.9 sounds like a measurement problem or a Kalk overdose. I don't think Reef Builder could do that, even with a very large dose. Is there any Kalkwasser going into the tank?

geekengineer
10/21/2015, 09:59 PM
I would think that there is something weird too, but the test strip seems to read high too but it is harder to read exactly. The meter is way higher than it normally reads. Maybe I can try to calibrate the meter again to check and see if its going wonky on me.

geekengineer
10/21/2015, 10:23 PM
OK sorry for the false alarm your right it was wonky calibration on the meter. I maybe should get a new one it somehow was way off that was weird. It was not quite calibrating right anymore it is one of those cheap-y ones I guess so maybe they don't work long. So it is running low PH is like 7.8ish (if I trust the reading) so I probably need to add more reef builder lol. I took a good look at the strip test again and it probably isn't as high as that more in the 8 PH range.

bertoni
10/21/2015, 10:47 PM
Okay, a calibration problem makes sense. :)

The Reef Builder will raise the pH temporarily by consuming carbon dioxide from the water, but aeration will bring it back up very quickly. 7.8 is fine, and is typical for houses with the windows shut.