PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 180 Gallon.

DJasak
10/22/2015, 08:41 AM
I'm planning my 180 gallon build and today I'm on the topic of stocking my aquarium. I've gone thru and selected what fish I want to keep, but I've never really understood how many fish is too much in saltwater. It's never like freshwater where theres the definitive 1 or 2 gallons per inch of adult fish. So how big of a fish is too big? And bouncing off that, how many larger fish can you house in a larger tank? The fish I've selected, and this selection is open reconsideration and trimming based on advice, are: yellow tang, regal pacific blue tang, powder blue tang, one spot foxface, flame hawkfish, bartlett's anthias (3 or 4) blue/green chromis(4 or 5) ocellaris clown, hoeven's wrasse, flame angel, zebra moray eel, sleeper gold head goby, bicolor goatfish, harlequin tuskfish, black cap basslet, and lastly emperor angelfish. I also would like to have a blue linkia star, red sea star, fancy red serpent star, and blue maxima clam. The only 2 fish I already have are the hoeven's wrasse and clownfish. Everybody else are up for debate. My biggest concern is having too many big fish. I would really like to have the emperor angel but liveaquaria.com suggests a tank of at least 230 gallons. As for corals I would most likely do a mix softies, LPS and SPS. Again nothing is set in stone yet, I'm trying to gather information and opinions before I just go buy a bunch of fish and drop them in a tank. I want this to be a well thought out system so any input is appreciated.

Taahirs
10/22/2015, 08:44 AM
IMO that's way too many. And besides. Some of the Fish listed there will nip corals

b7fig
10/22/2015, 09:13 AM
Thats a pretty full tank and will probably have some nitrate problems. I've had a emperor in a 180 for about 8 years with no problems. That being said, he'll eat all your LPS corals.

DJasak
10/22/2015, 10:09 AM
what about just sps an a few softies for movement? Also by pretty full are u saying my stocking is ok but i would have to up my skimming and WC schedule or should i trim my stock?

DJasak
10/22/2015, 10:19 AM
based on my reading I have been doing, angels and a clam is not a good idea. So how about I say no clam, and either no powder blue or regal blue (i've heard they can be a real PITA to keep) then would stocking be ok? I would like to have equal number of anthias and chromis as dither fish and a decent amount of each (probably 4 or 5 each)

b7fig
10/22/2015, 11:03 AM
By pretty full, I mean probably too many. That's 7 large fish plus an eel that will pollute a tank pretty quick along with a bunch of smaller ones. I would cut back at least 2 of the large fish.
Clam a no go. Your sps and softies would probably been fine. They might pick occasional on them, but usually not enough to hurt them. Also, you tusk my go after your starfish. They love invertebrates.

DJasak
10/22/2015, 11:47 AM
oh darn, i definitely want the starfish...ok how about the flame angel, bicolor goatfish, foxface, all three tangs and the emperor angel instead of tuskfish.

Taahirs
10/22/2015, 11:50 AM
Also a good chance of flame and bicolor nipping lps

DopeCantWin
10/23/2015, 07:58 AM
1. Regal Blue Tang needs a bigger tank (240 gallon 8ft)
2. The Chromis will end up with one most likely, they kill each other off.
3. The Clowns will end up with two most likely, the rest kill each other off.

I'd narrow that list down by a ton. A saltwater tank tank should be way more sparse and cleaner than a freshwater tank.

DJasak
10/23/2015, 06:33 PM
Yea I've put some thought in to it and I'm thinking the chromis and anthias are out. I only have 1 clown and I wouldn't want anymore than that. The harlequin tusk is out cause I want starfish and according to liveaquaria.com a 180 gallon is what's recommended for a hippo tang. But if you guys don't think it's a good idea I'd rather err on the side of caution and substitute him out. What about a heniochus?

DJasak
10/23/2015, 07:53 PM
Nevermind about the heniochus. Just broke out some of my books and now realize heniochus and coral don't mix

WaReefer458
10/23/2015, 08:23 PM
gonna have some issues with the clam as well if you plan on angels... I lost 3 big derasa's before I realized who was eating them....

DJasak
10/24/2015, 06:18 PM
Ok that's fine, I'll just put the clam in my other tank that's a lot more peaceful

Shawn O
10/26/2015, 01:50 PM
yellow tang, Should be perfectly fine
Regal pacific blue tang, I think these need more room
powder blue tang, I think these need more room
one spot foxface, Should be perfectly fine
flame hawkfish, Should be perfectly fine
bartlett's anthias (3 or 4) Should be perfectly fine
blue/green chromis(4 or 5) Should be perfectly fine, may kill each other
flame angel, Should be OK, may pick at coral
zebra moray eel, I think it's not a good choice for a heavily stocked tank
sleeper gold head goby, Should be perfectly fine
bicolor goatfish, Should be perfectly fine
harlequin tuskfish, May eat smaller pets
black cap basslet, Should be perfectly fine
emperor angelfish. I think these need more room
blue linkia star, Wait until your tank is more mature before trying these starfish
red sea star, Wait until your tank is more mature before trying these starfish
fancy red serpent star, Should be OK if you target feed it a small chunk of meat every so often.
blue maxima clam. I believe these need a lot of light and calcium

The Anthias should be perfectly fine in a 180. Chromis could do OK if you provide lots of sleeping holes in the rocks. Goat fish seem like they disrupt the sand a lot, from what I've seen in videos of them. Someone with one of these could give you actual experience, not just video observation. They eat small crustaceans, not sure if this included ornamentals.

I'd lean more to a list like:
yellow tang,
one spot foxface
flame hawkfish,
bartlett's anthias (x5)
blue/green chromis(x5)
flame angel,
sleeper gold head goby,
black cap basslet,
as well as your Ocellaris and Hoeven's Wrasse