PDA

View Full Version : Shy Coral Beauty

mitchrapp
10/23/2015, 07:16 PM
I've had a coral beauty in QT for almost 6 weeks now. He went through TTM and 2 rounds of Prazi. Never had any visible signs of illness, but is very shy. He is always hiding. Only sometimes do I see him swimming around in the tank, but as soon as he sees me, he goes and hides. If I stay there very still, he sometimes will come back out and look at me, explore a little more, but then quickly dart back to hiding. Other times he doesn't come out of hiding, not even during feeding time. He has yet to eat in front of me. I thought things would be better after TTM, when he went into the cycled QT, but still no luck. Is this normal behavior? I'm kind hesitant to put him into my DT as I don't think he'll be do well with my other fish as they are voracious eaters. This fish is so shy and skittish, I don't think I would be able to target feed him either.

I've tried live blackworms, mysis, NLS, NLS Thera A, Algaemax, Formula 2, nori, New Era Marine Grazer. He's obviously eating something as he wouldn't have lasted this long without eating, just not around me nor from the water column. Any suggestions? Should I leave him in the QT for a longer period of time? I would think he would be well acclimated by now (almost 4 weeks post-TTM in the cycled QT).

SDguy
10/24/2015, 06:08 AM
I would leave him in QT until he's more comfortable. I mean, really no reason not to keep a fish in QT longer :) He's probably shy because he's alone... and he went through TTM (which is great), but he probably sees you and thinks, ugh, not again :D He may not act the same way in the DT. I personally would just walk around the QT more... be visible a lot, especially during feeding.

iluvmyfishes
10/24/2015, 08:47 AM
I will give you the opposite viewpoint and say that he is probably more stressed in the QT than he would be in a more natural environment. If he is healthy than he should be put in his permanent home. He may be more social and feel more comfortable.

Bogue Chitto
10/24/2015, 07:42 PM
At least try putting another peaceful fish in the qt with him and see if he will pal around with it.

Giovanni
10/24/2015, 08:54 PM
Tell us about your QT tank and DT tank. (size, age, what fish in DT, rock work in DT, water parameters in QT and DT as well as testing method, photo period for both QT and DT). Maybe a photo of the QT, DT and the fish if you can catch him out. When you feed do you move away from the tank and watch or stand there until the food has settled. Do you vacuum out the food after you feed? Every fish has its own personality, most will learn to come out when food is present and even associate you with that food and come out expecting to be fed.

SDguy
10/25/2015, 06:03 AM
I will give you the opposite viewpoint and say that he is probably more stressed in the QT than he would be in a more natural environment. If he is healthy than he should be put in his permanent home. He may be more social and feel more comfortable.

There should be nothing at all stressful about a properly setup QT... I've kept fish in mine for months and months without issue. And it's only 15g :)

At least try putting another peaceful fish in the qt with him and see if he will pal around with it.

This would restart the QT process all over again, which I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to do.

Tell us about your QT tank and DT tank. (size, age, what fish in DT, rock work in DT, water parameters in QT and DT as well as testing method, photo period for both QT and DT). Maybe a photo of the QT, DT and the fish if you can catch him out. When you feed do you move away from the tank and watch or stand there until the food has settled. Do you vacuum out the food after you feed? Every fish has its own personality, most will learn to come out when food is present and even associate you with that food and come out expecting to be fed.

Good questions!

RJT
10/25/2015, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't worry about not seeing him eat. I bought a pair of coral beauties from the lfs. I didn't see them eat nori or prepared food for 4 months. It was an older setup so there was life on the rocks, not really enough algae for a fish to live off of. No idea what they ate but they seemed happy and didn't lose weight.