PDA

View Full Version : Morning Surprise

Foooz
10/24/2015, 05:39 AM
I changed the pump on my EV180 from mag 7 to mag 9.5 last night. Did some research and set my water level at the top of the main box, just below the cylinder, with the air valve closed and ozone hole plugged. Opened air alve and ozone hole and everything seemed fine. (I know a lot of you have jumped to the punch line already:rollface:). I watched for about 2 hrs and everything was fine, skim was a little wetter than I wanted figured adjust in the morning. Woke up this morning and could hear the tank sounded funny. Sure enough air combing out of my returns, looked in sump water level in return pump well is way low. How could that be, I checked the level last night. Look at skimmer it is sitting there behaving not bubbling over. Then I looked behind the stand at my overflow container which of course is overflowing. Looks like I out about 2 gallons of water on the floor. Not a major catastrophe but still aggravating, everything is cleaned up. Lesson Learned - if you adjust your skimmer route the overflow back to the sump until you know everything is working right.:deadhorse1:

I have adjusted the air valve to about 50% closed at this time. I did verify it was clear last night during pump change. Is there anything else I should be doing? I changed to the mag 9.5 based on research stating it seemed to operate better than mag 7. The mag 7 was not producing much skim. I do not have a heavy bio load with a sailfin, powder blue, fox face and coral beauty in a 75 with a 35 gallon sump and about 80 lbs of live rock. To head off some beatings, I know two tangs should not be in a tank this size together. I am going up to 180 next weekend. They both seem to be doing fine and swim around together. The fox face which is 1/3 the size of the powder blue seems to be the trouble maker.

Oh and I failed to mention, appears the cat decided the saltwater would be good to drink so I had cat puke to clean up as well. Gotta love it!