PDA

View Full Version : maxima clam placement and light

reefer333_
10/25/2015, 02:08 AM
Hi RC,

I am thinking of getting a maxima clam (first time) and have a few questions. The clam I am planning to purchase is about 4-5 inches. Thanks.

1. Can I place the clam on the sand bed with flat rock underneath? Will the clam be happy long term on the sand bed? I read that they like to be on the rock, but no space on the rock for the clam.

2. My tank has an active yellow tang that swims all over the place, will clam eventually get used to fish swimming over it and not retract? (assuming that the clam is healthy and react to hand and fish shadow over it initially)

3. Do I have enough light for the maxima clam.

My tank info.

75 gallons 3 feet tank (36"L x 24"W x 20"H) mixed reef. LPS, birdnests, softie all doing well, set up for about a year. (I had done reef tanks before, so not a total newbie.) Dosing two parts with BRS dosers, so can keep up the calcium and alk consumption. Light is maxspect razor 160W about 9 inches above water level. So the clam will be about 25" from light. Light is running right now at 50% white, 80% blue for 8 hours. Current parameters are Cal 430, Alk 8.1, < 0.03 PO4, PH 8.2-8.3, Temp 79F.

Please let me know if I miss to provide any info about the tank. Thanks.

GriffinMarsh
10/25/2015, 04:38 PM
I don't see why you couldn't place the clam on the sand bed. I think clams fair better in more established aquariums so your tank at being a year old sounds sufficient. Give it a try and see, but as a first clam I personally would have gone with a squam or derasa. Maximas tend to be a little more picky. One more note, inspect the foot of the clam before purchasing to make sure it is intact.

reefer333_
10/27/2015, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the tip about the foot. Will clam get used to fish swimming over it? My tank has pretty active fish and want to make sure clam won't retract all the time due to the movements in the tank.

GriffinMarsh
10/29/2015, 10:30 AM
All of my clams in the past could care less about fish swimming above them after a few days of being in the tank. That was the case unless they were right on top of them. Was true for my maxima, squamosa, derasa, and crocea.