PDA

View Full Version : Will occellaris clowns eat copepods?

isomorphic85
10/25/2015, 03:52 PM
I have 2 ocellaris clowns , just noticing a large population of copepods in the tank... will ocellaris clowns eat them at all or do they steer clear?

Thanks

tc2007
10/25/2015, 04:26 PM
Probably not. Atleast not live solely on pods. The pods will go away once the nutrients are gone. You can get a mandarin if the pods don't go away. They feed mostly on pods and on a 150G it should be ok to have a mandarin.

shifty51008
10/25/2015, 05:31 PM
My ocy clowns have lived on pods in the fuge for over a year, the only other food they get is what makes it down the overflow and they are nice and fat

hotelbravo
10/25/2015, 05:35 PM
Almost everything will eat copepods.. Including clowns. Should you stop feeding them so that they eat only the copepods? No. They arent the best of hunters so they will hardly make a dent in the population.

ThRoewer
10/26/2015, 01:02 AM
I have 2 ocellaris clowns , just noticing a large population of copepods in the tank... will ocellaris clowns eat them at all or do they steer clear?

Thanks

That's like asking if the pope is catholic - of course! :headwally:

Copepods is what clowns to a large part live on in the wild. Mine are hunting for them on the rocks around their anemones or pick them off the glass.
Same goes for almost all other fish in my tanks.
Copepods is about the best food you can give you fish. I try to feed my fish frozen Cyclops at least once a day.

CoralsAddiction
10/26/2015, 01:21 AM
Yes and you will see many of them floating dead in your tank. Completely common and normal for clowns to eat pods.

isomorphic85
10/27/2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone sorry for the basic noob question there. I didn't know if pods were specific to certain species going for them or not.

Thanks again for the help!