PDA

View Full Version : Light cycle? (not TRON haha)

splix
10/26/2015, 05:34 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the cycling that is best for my lighting before anything goes into my tank.
I have full spectrum LED's. The chinabox 165w, 4 of them.

I can control the white/red/green, and blue is on another channel.

Do you keep your blue on during the day with your white/red/green?

I'm lighting between 8am and 7-8pm with white/red/green/blue. Then switching to only blue until about 10:30pm.

Billy1205
10/26/2015, 06:39 PM
I'm using ocean revive T247, my light schedule as follow:

3.30pm - 4.30pm = Blue
4.30pm - 10.30pm = white/blue/red/green
10.30pm - 11.30pm = Blue

Ron Reefman
10/27/2015, 06:59 AM
It really doesn't make a spits worth of difference to the critters in your tank. Do a sunrise and sunset or don't, the reefkeeper cares about that WAY more than the animals (including corals) in the tank do.

As for running blue leds during the day when the white leds are on... ABSOLUTELY! The zoanthellae in your corals use the blue spectrum to do photosynthesis. Now there is some blue spectrum in white light, but more is better. Most (not all... but most) reefers run even higher blue power levels during the day than they do white (with red & green).

I do long sunrise (5 hours) with the power ramping up to a midday od 3 hours at 90% blue and 40% white, and then a 6 hour sunset. Both the sunrise and sunset are much more blue at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day than at midday.

splix
10/27/2015, 09:12 AM
That helps honestly. I know there are 500 thousand things to watch out for in this hobby, being able to rule one out is good. haha

It really doesn't make a spits worth of difference to the critters in your tank. Do a sunrise and sunset or don't, the reefkeeper cares about that WAY more than the animals (including corals) in the tank do.

As for running blue leds during the day when the white leds are on... ABSOLUTELY! The zoanthellae in your corals use the blue spectrum to do photosynthesis. Now there is some blue spectrum in white light, but more is better. Most (not all... but most) reefers run even higher blue power levels during the day than they do white (with red & green).

I do long sunrise (5 hours) with the power ramping up to a midday od 3 hours at 90% blue and 40% white, and then a 6 hour sunset. Both the sunrise and sunset are much more blue at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day than at midday.

CStrickland
10/27/2015, 09:39 AM
I notice a diff in my animals when I started running the blues a couples hours after the whites. When the lights just shut off suddenly everyone panics and darts to the closest safe hole. When the blues stay on longer a couple fish dart when the whites cut out, and the rest sort of make their way to their preferred bed over about 20 minutes.

splix
10/27/2015, 10:35 AM
I'm mostly curious about health benefits. I've just noticed that people use blue for show, and full spectrum for growth and health. I just didnt know if it was worth the energy and was needed for me to keep my blue on with my full spectrum.