PDA

View Full Version : Live Phytoplankton Cultures

GriffinMarsh
10/26/2015, 11:00 PM
Im looking for some resources on growing live phyto. I had a friend growing isochrysis, nannochloropsis, and one other variety I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyways, Im trying to grow a couple different cultures for some NPS soon, and was wondering who's growing phyto. Mostly Im looking for a great resource.

laga77
10/27/2015, 10:08 PM
You can get all you need from Florida Aqua Farms. Get a couple of containers and some 6500K CFL lights in a clamp on fixture from HD, along with a culture and you are good to go. The one thing that helped me was to cut the amount of fertilizer in half. Since doing that, I haven`t had a crash.

Reef Frog
11/01/2015, 02:57 PM
All the good threads on raising phyto & zooplankton seem to be in the ADVANCED forum.

What NPS are you feeding? All the stoney large polyp species hobbyists see seem to be strictly carnivores. So what species are confirmed to eat phytoplanktons?

When I took a crack at growing NPS gorgonian type species & Red Sea fans, my reasearch at the time led me to believe that they were zooplankton only.

But I do seem to remember some fairly convincing information that the carnation & colored tree corals etc do indeed consume & depend on phytoplankton. But it seems everyone, experts included, still fail to keep them alive long term. It also seems fan & coco worms, sponges, cucumbers, Copapods & a few other creepy crawlies. I've always liked the idea of using phyto to support the microlife food chain in general.

But good, detailed, confirmed, practical information on what eats what in the NPS world seems very scarce. Its weird because I know that coral biologists do indeed perform cut studies on wild populations of lots of different animals. Is there any quality information out there accessible to the hobbyist?

GriffinMarsh
11/01/2015, 08:22 PM
I'm interested just solely on the base food chain. I figure the more phyto variations I can supply will help fuel zooplankton populations within the aquarium, with the secondary effect of feeding NPS.

noy
11/14/2015, 08:39 AM
I'm interested just solely on the base food chain. I figure the more phyto variations I can supply will help fuel zooplankton populations within the aquarium, with the secondary effect of feeding NPS.

if thats all you are doing its probably not worth the trouble to raise live phyto. There is quite a few resources out there including videos on youtube.