PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead problem

duberz
10/27/2015, 08:44 PM
I have a friend that bought a used tank. I'm helping him set it up but there is a problem with one of the bulkheads I want to replace. Seems someone put a hard epoxy like putty around the top of the fitting. Almost like they didnt have it tight enough and tried to stop a leak. I can get the nut off the bottom but it won't push out. I'm scared to hit it and possibly break the glass. Any ideas how to get it out?

tennesseebob
10/27/2015, 08:48 PM
if you are replacing it, then I think I might break the bulkhead, maybe cut the back of it in half down the middle, then crush the 2 halves together with some slip joint pliers (channel locks). Then the extra play that affords you, try to pry the bulkhead back and forth till it breaks loose.

duberz
10/27/2015, 09:01 PM
Yea I know I can get it off I just don't want to break the glass. I know it's tempered so I might be able to get away with prying it a bit.

duberz
10/27/2015, 09:02 PM
Also the epoxy is on the glass. I don't know for sure what bond it has with it.

Conor_K
10/27/2015, 10:00 PM
I had this issue as well with a used tank I recently bought.

I used a utility knife/straight razor to losen the epoxy/silicone as much as I could.

Than I just worked it from the thread side with a pair of pliers. Mild pressure and lots of wiggling. Came right out and then cleaned up with the straight razor.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/27/a4a974988ed5317f2e5e32b2085a7b69.jpg

zachts
10/28/2015, 11:16 AM
If it does not leak I think I'd leave well enough alone. Too many ways to risk breaking the glass if it is hard epoxy not soft sealant. If your lucky and the epoxy wasn't designed to bond to glass it may pop right off, on the other hand..........glass everywhere....

Can you post a picture?

Cutting apart the bulkhead carefully and removing it in small pieces would be the only way I'd attempt it. But if you are leaving the overflow box in place it will be really difficult to get in there and work carefully. You also may not get all the epoxy off and will have to reverse the new bulkhead with the flange and seal on the bottom of the tank against clean glass to avoid a new leak problem.