PDA

View Full Version : Fish selection for a 30 gallons tank.

loveaddressbox
10/27/2015, 11:32 PM
Hi! I was wondering... This is my tank:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24058023
I'm planing the fish selection, could I have your opinion guys?
I want something that... Let's say... I want them to be happy...
So, what of the fish list I have is good to have and what is not good...?
I'm ordering them to a wholesale person, because locals aren't very... Are not a good idea :(

6 Chromis Viridis (6 or 5? Any difference between pairs?)
2 or 3 Elactinus Oceanops
1 or 2 Cryptocentrus Cinctus
2 Nemateleotris Magnifica
1 Pterapogon Kauderni
2 Amphiprion Ocellaris

1 Entacmaea (Quadricolor?)

5 Sabellastarte? More feather dusters lol (They are lovely and I see them on a lot of colors)

Please suggest on numbers and all. I wanted a clown goby but they don't seel them :l
Same with blennies I wanted one... Or two...

I hope names are correct, all come in size "small" or so I was told.
Thanks for reading, double thanks if you reply!

collegereefs
10/28/2015, 03:10 PM
If you do not have a quarantine tank set up to prevent an outbreak of disease or parasites, I would recommend setting one up. Nothing is more frustrating than adding a new fish to watch it get sick and die. If a fish does contract an illness in your aquarium it takes around 80 days without any fish in the aquarium for the disease or parasite to die out. No one wants to wait ~ 3 months to add fish to their aquarium.

Chromis Virdis tend to kill off the weaker individuals off until you are left with one, or two if you're lucky. They are also highly susceptible to diseases. I would not recommend adding them.

A pair of Elactinus Oceanops should be fine. I'm not sure a trio would get along.

Cryptocentrus Cinctus should be fine. Without a quarantine tank you might have problems trying to form a pair. Mated pairs are hard to find.

Nemateleotris Magnifica pairs tend to be hit or miss. They are also known for jumping so a secure lid would be a must. Otherwise a fine nano fish.

Pterapogon Kauderni are one of my favorite fish. Make sure you purchase a captive bred individuals. Wild caught individuals can carry indovirus and are hard to get to eat prepared food. These fish are also know for being very reluctant to eat pellets or flake foods, but will happily eat frozen foods.

Amphiprion Ocellaris is a good begineer fish. Pairs can get aggressive in nano tanks. I would recommend adding them last.

With out the Chromis this has 8 fish in a 30g. It's probably do able, but a little bit overstocked. Additionally, the watchman goby and the cardinals have large mouths and might try to eat the neon gobies. The General rule is if a fish can fit another fish in its mouth it will try to eat the smaller fish at some point.

jraker
10/28/2015, 03:33 PM
your best bet would be to take your list, chop it in half, and then chop it in half again. 4 or 5 fish should be good, but 6 would really be pushing it. i know people like lots of fish, but remember, the more fish you add, the harder it will be to get rid of the algae your will get.

i would go with:

1 clownfish (a pair will be aggressive and will dominate your tank)
1 firefish
1 watchman goby
1 neon goby
1 green chromis.

you can also go with an anemone

add as many feather dusters as you want, they are filter feeders.

loveaddressbox
10/28/2015, 04:21 PM
Hey guys! Thank you very much for reply!
Well... I might remove the P.Kauderni, I don't know for sure if it is breed or taken form the sea. I know the clowns are from captivity and the anemone and corals are pups from bigger ones... Well then I should remove some fish from the list...
What about the virus from the P.Kauderni? Is contagious to humans or other fish?

collegereefs
10/28/2015, 05:09 PM
Wild caught individuals can carry indovirus and are hard to get to eat prepared food.

My apologies, the virus is called iridovirus.

loveaddressbox
10/29/2015, 12:35 AM
All cool ;3

Joke
10/29/2015, 03:19 AM
Try a pistol and watchman goby pair, it always intresting.