PDA

View Full Version : Repairing chipped glass

DesertReefT4r
10/28/2015, 08:21 AM
Any way to do this? I have a chip on the corner edge of the tank i just got.

Bogue Chitto
10/28/2015, 04:51 PM
Stick it back with silicone.

cdjim
10/29/2015, 08:40 AM
get windshield repair kit from auto parts store

OllieNZ
10/29/2015, 11:23 AM
get windshield repair kit from auto parts store

These are designed to repair laminated glass and will not do anything for chip like the op's

cdjim
10/29/2015, 04:33 PM
They are to fill void in glass to keep the chip or crack from expanding will work on any glass and if treated correct it will be clear.

OllieNZ
10/30/2015, 02:19 AM
They are to fill void in glass to keep the chip or crack from expanding will work on any glass and if treated correct it will be clear.

Sorry I disagree with that. The reason chip repair on a car windscreen works is because you are filling a void shaped like an inverted 'V' which prevents the resin coming out when dry. This is why it's pointless to fill a pit in the glass as the resin contracts slightly with time and falls out.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/OllieNZ/pic_aboutrepairs2_zpsal2l4mio.gif (http://s809.photobucket.com/user/OllieNZ/media/pic_aboutrepairs2_zpsal2l4mio.gif.html)

sleepydoc
10/30/2015, 06:34 PM
First question is how big is the chip and does it affect the integrity of the tank?

Assuming the answer is no, you can try sticking the chip back with a very thin layer of silicone, but any solution you pick will probably be less than satisfactory. To get it to 'disappear,' you have to match the refractive index of the glass and have a continuous smooth surface at the edge. I don't know of any available solutions that would accomplish this.

ericarenee
10/31/2015, 09:32 AM
First question is how big is the chip and does it affect the integrity of the tank?

Assuming the answer is no, you can try sticking the chip back with a very thin layer of silicone, but any solution you pick will probably be less than satisfactory. To get it to 'disappear,' you have to match the refractive index of the glass and have a continuous smooth surface at the edge. I don't know of any available solutions that would accomplish this.

This i agree with..

Depending on the chip.... I would most likely Sand it smooth this will keep you from getting cut or snagging it.. It can also prevent a crack or fracture .

But without seeing the crack or chip its really hard to tell....