PDA

View Full Version : Interesting anomaly

OoooDRAGONoooo
10/29/2015, 05:03 AM
I usually have to clean my glass every 2 of 3 days with the magnetic cleaner.but I haven't had to this week,.the only thing new is the addition of a new piece of live rock ( about 2 kilos) and a small rose bubble tip anemome,any thoughts ?

tmz
10/29/2015, 10:06 AM
Maybe, increased nitrification and denitrification is ocurring given the addition of new surface area with some hypoxic areas via the new rock. In other words more ammonia oxidation and/or more anaerobic nitrate reduction could be occuring. The rock surfaces may be adsorbing some PO4. A reduction in fixed nitrogen and PO4 could account for less algae at least temporarily.

rt67ghy
10/29/2015, 10:10 AM
You're very lucky. I wish I had a RBT hitch hiker come with my LR.

OoooDRAGONoooo
10/29/2015, 10:17 AM
Ty for reply.how I have never enquired before about how often people get a build up on their glass,is two or three days excessive,suggesting a problem?my nitrates for around 6 months were always zero,but now I have more coral and lots and lots of inverts,asterinas,snails,brittle stars,brine shrimp and the fish have doubled in size too.and my nitrate readings lately are about 5.0 I skim 24/7have filter sock,scrubber and cheato morphia in sump(a lot) is there another way to get rid of the nitrates,or is 5 .o not to bad.its a mixed reef,mushrooms,torch,acropora, zoas and my new Rita.

tmz
10/29/2015, 10:23 AM
5ppm may be a little high for some sensitive sps but generally should be ok. FFWIW mine rusn around 0.2ppm. What's the PO4? More live rock, denitrators particularly sulfur denitrators and organic carbon dosing are some ways to reduce nitrate.