PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Fiji Leather

atrain
10/29/2015, 11:22 AM
So, I ordered a yellow Fiji leather from an online source. Got it a couple days ago, and it is more green than yellow, waxy and no polyps. The polyps have started to come out, and I am not worried about the waxiness, but has anyone had these change color? Are these sensitive to iron etc and change? or am I stuck with a green leather? I've had plenty of sps color up with growth and change from when I originally purchased, but have little experience with leathers.

cloak
10/29/2015, 12:05 PM
Maybe this link will help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/3/corals

Bogue Chitto
10/29/2015, 07:19 PM
Sometimes they substitute.

garygonzales
10/29/2015, 08:48 PM
leathers they do this ..if you look at link cloak put up....its normal...specially whe get pizzed off...give it some time and good flow....helps with the shedding....

atrain
10/29/2015, 09:01 PM
My concern is with the color. I expected it to be yellow, and it is greenish.
Should I call the vendor to complain? Or will better water chemistry change
Or influence the color of the leather?

jason2459
10/29/2015, 09:13 PM
Pictures?

Dkuhlmann
10/30/2015, 07:05 AM
Really need pictures but leathers do the waxy thing before they shed and they do it pretty often. Make sure it's in a high flow area to help the shedding process.

garygonzales
10/30/2015, 08:21 AM
+1 i said this also.....they look like that when they are going thru this process..

Bent
10/30/2015, 11:17 AM
So far my blue toad has shed like clockwork every other Monday. It only looks good for about 5 days in a row. The rest of the time it looks like a burn victim.

mneddy
10/30/2015, 11:35 AM
My yellow Fiji has actually never shed. It's a very slow grower, loves a lot of light and flow. It's kind of SPS of leathers.

cloak
10/30/2015, 12:15 PM
it's a very slow grower, loves a lot of light and flow. It's kind of sps of leathers.

+1

JoeVandal49
11/12/2015, 07:22 PM
To add to the discussion, i have a fairly large Yellow Fiji leather. Its a slow grower compared to other leathers in my tank. Mine has also never shed, though all of my other leathers have at one point or another.

They like high light and will color up to the color of a lemon under the correct light. Mine is a very nice yellow.

Mine also likes high flow.

I have seen them range in color from bright yellow to brown in LFS, but i have never seen a green one. If its really a yellow fiji leather, then it should color up over a couple months in high light.

atrain
11/12/2015, 08:17 PM
thx for the replies. I would like to post pics, however only camera I have is my phone and they are horrid. The leather loses its greenish appearance when it opens up fully. It now looks yellowish, however, I would call it more of a beige. I have seen bright yellow in a fellow reefers tank, and was hoping for the same. I do have it sitting at the bottom of the tank, which I've tested at 250ish par. I was trying to fill out the bottom of my tank with some softies/lps. It does have a couple 1" pieces sprouted off the side, so I may try mounting it higher up to see what happens to the color. I will try to remember to post update in a couple weeks.

Dkuhlmann
11/13/2015, 07:56 AM
atrain, a lot of a corals color has to do with what lighting you have and they will be different colors under different lights, not just the PAR but the actual type of light ie LED, T5 etc.

scooter31707
11/19/2015, 11:06 AM
I will give it time. I noticed my leathers change color when they go through this process. I thought they were dying.