PDA

View Full Version : Previously live rock, what to do now?

g8rorchid
10/29/2015, 03:51 PM
I have a 55g FOWLR tank with a hang on refugium. The fuge was sadly never successful (couldn't get pods to reproduce, chaeto would never grow even with plenty of nitrates, trying different lamps, etc.). So when the pump on the fuge died, I wasn't pressed to get a new one. I have decided to try the fuge again as I want a mandarin. I am honestly not sure how long the rock has been dry (3 months? 6 months?) and wanted to know what is the easiest way to get this rock to be usable. I have seen so many things online, that I am even more confused, lol. I'm not worried about it being live as I have rock from the DT that I can add to the fuge. I just don't want to cause a cycle or ammonia spike etc.

Thanks!

kinnadian
10/29/2015, 04:44 PM
You could just cure it; place it in RO water and replace every few days or weekly depending on phosphate or ammonia levels you detect from die off. Once there is no more die off it is good to go.

How much rock is it? I assume it is rubble? If it is a small amount your live rock in your main tank can probably handle it just fine without a cure at all.

g8rorchid
11/02/2015, 08:54 PM
It's not a huge amount, but I would guesstimate between 10-15lbs? The hang on refugium is by CPR and it's the large. If I cure it in RO water, will there be an overwhelming smell? From what I read online people would talk about a horrible smell.

Quiet_Ivy
11/02/2015, 10:49 PM
It's not a huge amount, but I would guesstimate between 10-15lbs? The hang on refugium is by CPR and it's the large. If I cure it in RO water, will there be an overwhelming smell? From what I read online people would talk about a horrible smell.

Ahh this week everybody's curing everything! Funny how topics go in a run.

First off, if you use RO, your rock will be cycled-for freshwater. When you put the rocks in saltwater the bacteria will all die off and the rocks will cycle again. You really would only use RO if you're trying to get rid of bound phosphates and are cheap. :)

If you just want to get the rock cycled to go in your main tank without spiking ammonia, yes stick it in some saltwater. The smell should not be too bad assuming the rock isn't covered in dead algae/corals/sponges. You can certainly give the dead rock a good scrubbing in tap water (use a new scrub brush and add some Prime to the saltwater you're going to use to cycle afterwards)

You're *probably* ok to just drop the rocks in your tank without any of this, but if I were you I'd at least try them in saltwater for a few days and see what the tests say.

hth
Ivy

g8rorchid
11/03/2015, 05:10 PM
Thanks Ivy! How long should this take? I also read that you need a heater...is that true? I'm in FL and it's still hot outside (upper 80s), so the water temp without a heater will probably be between 77-80 degrees, the temp that I keep my apartment.