PDA

View Full Version : Pipe fish reef safe?

Mikenroe
10/29/2015, 07:25 PM
Is there a pipe fish that I could keep in my mixed reef? I would like to keep one or two, so any suggestions would be great. However I know that with the high current we need to keep reef aquariums, that might not be possible.

GriffinMarsh
10/29/2015, 07:57 PM
Dragonface pipefish are probably one of the best if its going to be a peaceful tank. What size is the tank in question?

Mikenroe
10/29/2015, 10:58 PM
Griffeymarsh" my tank info is at the bottom of my thread, however I have a 160 plus a refugium/sump. A your thinking a dragon face is the best bet. I'll check them out.

GriffinMarsh
10/30/2015, 09:23 AM
I did notice your tank info, but always good to double check. Yes I think drangonface are one of the best.

Mikenroe
10/31/2015, 12:58 AM
Thank you GriffinMarsh

laga77
10/31/2015, 03:27 PM
Pipefish are reef safe, just make sure the reef is safe for the pipefish. If you have any large LPS or NPS, they could very easily get a hold of the pipefish and kill it.

GriffinMarsh
10/31/2015, 06:24 PM
Pipefish are reef safe, just make sure the reef is safe for the pipefish. If you have any large LPS or NPS, they could very easily get a hold of the pipefish and kill it.

I absolutely agree with this statement. I have had friends report disappearing pipefish in tanks heavily stocked with LPS. While we have never seen a body the suspects seem to be the very large polyped stonies. Also watch out for large corallimorphs such as the elephant ear mushroom. Ive seen one of those guys eat a hippo tang, so I bet larger rhodactis could take out a small pipe.

ThRoewer
11/10/2015, 01:46 PM
In my experience blue stripes are the best pipefish for a mixed reef tank. I never lost one to inverts or anemones. Females and pairs are more outgoing than single males.

iluvmyfishes
11/12/2015, 11:57 AM
Be careful about overflows and power head openings. If you get one too small he could get sucked in to a skimmer.