PDA

View Full Version : Established Toadstool (Sarcophyton) not opening

DerNaschkatze
10/30/2015, 06:58 PM
Hey,

I have a 37 gallon tank, mixed soft, LPS, SPS, bright lights, good water movement, good parameters.

My toadstool was one of my favorites in the tank for a long time, with long polyps and a nice cream-peach color. It was that way for maybe 5 months. Lately it has been completely closed, though not shriveled or gray.

The thing that has me worried is that I have been having some difficulties with leathers as of recent. First was a xenia colony (that has since recovered) almost completely melt. Second was a colony of kenya trees that collapsed for about 2 weeks and then disintegrated. Third was a finger leather that had looked beautiful for months.

Everything else is growing famously. The zoanthids are weeds, the acans are pigs, the montipora are growing at an nice rate, and the anemones are going insane.

Any idea what might be wrong with my tank? Or is the toadstool just pouting for a bit?

My tank is ~10 months old with 2 clowns, a cardinal fish, a firefish, and a neon goby.

Thanks

Dkuhlmann
10/31/2015, 08:27 AM
A picture would be helpful but they do shed from time to time and that is more than likely the issue, but without a picture can't be for sure. They need high water flow and med to high lighting.

Also need to see what your water parameters are.

OoooDRAGONoooo
11/04/2015, 02:22 PM
It is also possible that it's sheltering from what the other corals sometime release into the system that u can't test for.mine closes up a lot especially if disturbed.

RA
11/04/2015, 03:18 PM
Sometimes when xenia isn't doing well it's a sign that your Ph/Alk is too low. This would effect your other corals also.

Dkuhlmann
11/05/2015, 09:58 AM
It is also possible that it's sheltering from what the other corals sometime release into the system that u can't test for.mine closes up a lot especially if disturbed.

Running carbon will help this

Pastey
11/05/2015, 10:12 AM
How long has it been that way? I've had them close up for 2 weeks while they "shed". You can help them by increasing the flow a bit to help get the film off of them. If it is not showing signs of melting or signs that something may be preying on it, I'd leave it be for a while...they typically come back OK.

You do have a variety of corals so there is a chance you could be experiencing some type of chemical warfare. You could try running carbon for a bit to see if the toadstool responds positively.

Also, keep in mind that most soft corals like water that is a little bit dirtier than most corals. Test your nutrient levels. If you're operating at close to 0 nitrates/phosphates, it may be that the water is simply too clean.

SPS911
11/07/2015, 06:18 PM
A couple drops of lugols iodine will help them shed faster. My softies always seemed to respond well to iodine.