PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mistake

mattgriffin1
10/31/2015, 01:46 AM
Hi all, I'm new here. Set up a 350litre reef tank about 6 weeks ago and I guess I took some bad advice from my supplier. Have 25kg well cured live rock and was advised I could introduce some fish after only 2 weeks as all parameters were fine - I now know this was bad advice. Have had an big ammonia spike this last week with readings off the scale despite water changes. The only thing that has started the cycle now is using bottled bacteria (bio Spira) and I am now seeing nitrites and nitrates for the first time. The fish are actually much perkier since introducing the bacteria and getting the cycle going. Needless to say I won't be introducing any more livestock for a couple of months when I know it is fully stable. The fish are a pair of small clowns and some regal damsels. I guess it's testimony to their hardiness that they have survived this.

Matt

Bcrowe2012
10/31/2015, 04:57 AM
That sucks, but you live and you Learn. I would keep up on water changes for sure and keep checking the parameters. Do you have a skimmer running? What's your set up look like?

billdogg
10/31/2015, 06:34 AM
A number of water changes and a big slug of Prime will help get it down. Any reading of Ammonia is toxic to your fish. The effects may not show up for some time, but permanent damage is done.

mattgriffin1
11/01/2015, 02:43 AM
Yes I have a skimmer running although this last week it's been going crazy with the cup filling several times per day with bubbles. I laid off the feeding for a few days while the fish were lying low although they're much better now the cycle is in progress and have resumed sparse feeding. I have had a cyano outbreak this week as well- does it thrive on ammonia?

Coralreefer1
11/01/2015, 08:50 AM
If your trying to cycle your tank, don't do a water change as that only creates more serious issues. Clown fish are in the same family of fish as Damsels, hence the reason they are still alive. Just don't try to do too much too quickly or over compensate for your water parameter issue. Good things come to those who wait...
Be sure to follow water parameters till cycle has run its course. Then and only then should you add livestock(additional) to your bio load!
A water change will be beneficial at the end of the cycle before adding livestock also!
Good luck