PDA

View Full Version : Recirculation skimmer vs in sump

Frostyfishman
10/31/2015, 11:27 AM
I am having trouble Pu lling the trigger on a skimmer. I had settled on a circulating skimmer so I could use my limited sump as a huge. After reading I'm concerned of the danger of a flood with the recirculating type. The problem I can see with in sump is that i dont have auto top off and if I understand right that makes the skimmer go crazy from evap. What should I do here? I need a game plan.

zachfishman
10/31/2015, 11:37 AM
Internal skimmer definitely saves you the headache of an overflow. Why not build an external fuge instead?

Frostyfishman
10/31/2015, 11:42 AM
I hadn't even thought of that

ca1ore
10/31/2015, 03:05 PM
If you actually think about it, every skimmer is a 'recirculator' of sorts :lol: Seems the question is more internal versus external. I suppose the latter are marginally more likely to cause a flood due to structural failures; however, as a 20 year user of external skimmers, my floods have all been a result of badly designed skimmate reservoirs (both DiY and commercial).

BTW not all external skimmers are recirculating skimmers, and I cannot see how a recirculator presents greater risk of flooding than a single pass skimmer does?