PDA

View Full Version : inverts

atteb66
11/01/2015, 01:11 PM
My 5 gallon is pretty boring at the moment besides the corals I have in it. The tank is well established but I would like to know what are some of my options for something interesting in it?

I do have one Pom Pom Crab, just lost a Firefish it just would not eat anything from the day I brought it home, and before that I lost my Green Clown Goby had him for over 2 yrs so don't know how old he really was but he was cool.

I am really tired of all Gobies and Blennies and don't want anymore of them.

One fish would be cool something that "swims" but the tank is only 5 gallons.

Any recommendations for adding something interesting to this tank?

Dkuhlmann
11/01/2015, 03:30 PM
There aren't any nano fish that I'm aware of that can live comfortably in a 5 gal,most recommend a 10 gal. That said you can get pretty much any of the crabs, some cool snails and pretty much any of the shrimp. A small reef lobster or one really cool one is the squat lobster. Look up the squat lobster there are several different ones and are quite colorful.

You be able to even keep one of the smaller mantis shrimp. I'm not positive on this so you might want to check the mantis forum towards the bottom of the forum list. Many people there will tell you the best ones to get. I do know some of the mantis can get pretty big.

So yes you are limited to what you can keep in a 5 gal but checking with the nano forum here would be helpful as there are many others with smaller tanks.

Good luck

atteb66
11/01/2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the reply I looked up squat lobster very neat but I would not sleep at all thinking that might get out of the tank reminds me of a spider.

What about a fire shrimp?

GoldeneyeRet
11/01/2015, 11:00 PM
I love my squat lobster. I don't think its is creepy at all. It is beautiful and has an animated personality while being very peaceful. I highly recommend one.

Good luck!

Dkuhlmann
11/02/2015, 04:43 AM
I love my squat lobster. I don't think its is creepy at all. It is beautiful and has an animated personality while being very peaceful. I highly recommend one.

Good luck!

Need to see picture of said squat lobster, It's in the rules :lmao:

Sugar Magnolia
11/02/2015, 07:32 AM
A group of sexy shrimp are fun to watch. They continuously waggle their tails.

lifeoffaith
11/02/2015, 09:27 AM
I think a fire shrimp would be a great addition. I also have a skunk cleaner which is actually much more active "out in the open" than the fire shrimp. I would stick to one though, they can be a bit territorial. My skunk cleaner will stay clear of the fire shrimp in my 24 gallon, but I imagine that would be difficult in a 5 gallon.

Bent
11/02/2015, 10:39 AM
big fan of the squat lobster here.

i mean look at that face:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0b/4c/e9/0b4ce9331d2674ad4a38417487e58b92.jpg

Whats not to love?

atteb66
11/02/2015, 01:30 PM
Okay he is cute maybe the picture I seen was not the right one. I would have to see if we can get them here. What do you pay for one of these guys? How big do they get?