PDA

View Full Version : Sun coral id please

rt67ghy
11/02/2015, 12:29 PM
I have this coral which is growing a lot of new polyps. It is very pink in colour and I'm wondering what it is. The pic was taken after it ate some Coral Frenzy so the polyps appear more extended than usual.

http://imgur.com/NGwZwbk

rt67ghy
11/04/2015, 01:11 AM
The only corals I can think of which look like this are Cladopsammia gracilis and Tubastrea floreana. It'll be interesting to see which it turns out to be since the former is supposed to be a cold water species whereas the latter is critically endangered in the wild. I will be posting more pics as the colony grows and matures.

Nemato
11/05/2015, 01:32 PM
Hi!

Difficult to identify. There's a lot of species and genera. Some simply id by skeleton.

Anyways it's a really cool and interesting animal. Would kill for a small polyp!!

If you'll go to europe... Haha joking

rt67ghy
11/06/2015, 08:12 AM
Yes, it's very hard to id this. I guess I'll have to wait until it matures to get a better idea. A lot of suns can only be properly identified by seeing the skeleton, and only then by an expert. I don't mind though because whatever species it is, it's great to have this in my small sun collection.

The way it is producing pups around the edges I'll probably be able to make a lot of frags soon and maybe exchange with others, but it'll be tough to take some to Europe - unless I smuggle some in. haha

Dkuhlmann
11/07/2015, 07:39 AM
That's an awesome piece no matter what it is! Beautiful and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to finding out what it is.