PDA

View Full Version : Ripley

carmelpi
11/04/2015, 01:22 AM
She never molted. For a while I thought her shell rot was arrested but that was a false hope. I'm not sure if she was attempting to molt but when I got home I found her on her back unmoving. I was hoping she was just molting (finally) but the bumblebee snail on her kinda put a quick end to that notion.

Anyway, RIP Ripley. I loved you very much.

EI Gringo
11/04/2015, 02:31 AM
I just wish peacock mantis lived for longer in captivity :/ I've had little success keeping them in truth but I will be trying again with younger specimens, rip to her bro

young doz
11/04/2015, 02:42 AM
Dammit... sorry to hear mate.

Jlentz
11/04/2015, 04:15 AM
Sorry to hear. I'm sure she's running around, brutally smashing snails and crabs in mantis Valhalla.

Kharn
11/04/2015, 04:53 AM
I just wish peacock mantis lived for longer in captivity :/

It's not that they do not live long in captivity its just that they are one of the most difficult species to cater for long term due to people unaware of their long term requirements.

My friend in Australia Prof. Ahyong has had his peacock for going on 9yrs now in a fully stock reef tank.

carmelpi
11/04/2015, 08:05 AM
Sadly, this is all on me. The initial issues that led to her getting shell rot which in turn led to a stressed and unhappy gal were my fault. Also, as an inexperienced mantis keeper I should not have started wiyh a peacock.

So many things I did wrong. :(

Hadla
11/04/2015, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear that... Don't put so much blame on yourself... I was inexperienced and started with a peacock

carmelpi
11/04/2015, 11:06 AM
I think in a while I may try again with a G. smithii like I had originally wanted but in the meantime her tank will be my mini reef. :(

Calappidae
11/04/2015, 03:29 PM
Don't let it get to you, O. scyllarus is just a very unforgiving species. Even when you do something right it seems like they do something stupid and out of control.

Keep them in SPS coral water quality; still manages shell rot.

Give them good burrows and rubble; still manages to fail a molt.

Can take on about any animal and lacks many predators while being very fast; still gets assassinated by .00005 MPH starfish.

O. scyllarus are very expert only and luck based... that being said, like kharn mentioned O. scyllarus can live long healthy lives in captivity, but even those who absolutely know what their doing sometimes get screwed over by chance.

nmotz
11/04/2015, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear about this, sucks coming home to a dead mantis. Better luck next time, and don't worry, we've all made mistakes from inexperience or bad choices or whatever.

carmelpi
11/06/2015, 07:24 PM
So, my boyfriend measured her before we buried her and she was 6.5 inches long. Her dactyls, stretched out, were 3.5 inches.

For you who use metric that's roughly 16.5 cm long and 9 cm.

EI Gringo
11/10/2015, 02:08 PM
I must confess that I am not quite so gracious with fatalities :L

carmelpi
11/20/2015, 01:56 PM
Well, taking steps to make sure the tank will be gtg for my next mantis. I think I just rushed it with her. I'll give it another 6 months and then start poking around for a G. smithii or O. havenensis.

Any recommendations? Something pretty and reasonably personable. :)

nmotz
11/20/2015, 02:12 PM
6 months is a long time to wait! What preparations are you making? A G. Smithii is a much hardier mantis and would probably not require so long a wait, but they are harder to find. I do see them on blue zoo aquatics every now and then.

I had an O. Havanensis that died 5 days after its arrival. I was bummed but I also think that the tank needed a bit more time to be ready. They are a really cool species. For them I would recommend a strong filtration setup with a good skimmer and macroalgae refugium, although I've seen people succeed with that species using only a simple HOB filter and LR.

carmelpi
11/21/2015, 01:55 AM
6 months because that's how long it'll be before i can convince my boyfriend to let me try again. :/