PDA

View Full Version : 9 months and still no growth?

jmareef1022
11/04/2015, 03:10 PM
It's been in the tank that long and no polyp growth..I feed mysis twice a week and recently been feeding it nps pellets...polyp extension seems fine so don't reallywant to overfeed.I really hope it just start to take off and grow..what you guys think..thanks again everyone

Bogue Chitto
11/04/2015, 03:31 PM
What kind of light do you have?

jmareef1022
11/04/2015, 03:32 PM
150 watt mh..

BarryV
11/04/2015, 03:38 PM
Hi jmareef1022
The only thing I think I would do is feed more often. I feed my sun coral at least 5-6 times a week. Check out my tank I have 4 sun coral and all are doing great and I also have babies. I also use selcon in my food.
Barry
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55093344/One%20year%20a.jpg

laga77
11/04/2015, 05:28 PM
Not feeding enough and the wrong food. Throw away the pellets. Mysis and plankton are OK, but I have found that cut up shrimp, clams, and squid, along with live black worms and white worms will give great growth.

laga77
11/04/2015, 05:30 PM
Hi jmareef1022
The only thing I think I would do is feed more often. I feed my sun coral at least 5-6 times a week. Check out my tank I have 4 sun coral and all are doing great and I also have babies. I also use selcon in my food.
Barry
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55093344/One%20year%20a.jpg

Nice looking tank!

rt67ghy
11/05/2015, 10:46 AM
I agree that you need to feed it more often and also try different types of food such as Coral Frenzy, bits of shrimp, nutramar ova, etc.

jmareef1022
11/05/2015, 02:48 PM
Hey barry beautiful tank..nice colonies too..Almost missed your black Sun coral too...did you get your suns by frag and grew them out or what...gorgeous tank indeed..Will be heading to my lfs today do I'll see what I can find..never bought a bag of shrimp for feeding the tank but when I go to my local wm will frozen raw shrimp from they're frozen seafood department be fine..will definitely up the feedings too will try like 4 times a week..oh yea Barry are your polyps extended throughout the day...

BarryV
11/05/2015, 03:47 PM
Hey barry beautiful tank..nice colonies too..Almost missed your black Sun coral too...did you get your suns by frag and grew them out or what...gorgeous tank indeed..Will be heading to my lfs today do I'll see what I can find..never bought a bag of shrimp for feeding the tank but when I go to my local wm will frozen raw shrimp from they're frozen seafood department be fine..will definitely up the feedings too will try like 4 times a week..oh yea Barry are your polyps extended throughout the day...

Thanks for the nice comment jmareef1022. The black sun coral is the newest in my tank. The sun coral in the center back I have had almost a year and it has doubled in size. As far as feeding I just buy shrimp and clams and run them in
a food processor and freeze it a sheet and brake it up for feeding. I also feed them mysis and brine shrimp soaked in selcon. The photo I posted was my one year photo, take a few days ago. My sun coral are closed most of the day, when I feed my couple of fish in the afternoon they open, are fed and stay out the rest of the evening.
Barry

Bogue Chitto
11/05/2015, 06:57 PM
Jmareef, the halide should be fine. The corals there look good , just remember they recommend that you change the bulbs every year. Also You probably know this but make sure you have the right spectrum bulb. Some of the bulbs out there are not as good as others, but looking at those pics, looks like the bulb is o. k.

Also, Barry, that is a magnificent looking tank, You are really doing a great job with it. Thanks for the pics...