PDA

View Full Version : Sicce Silent? Yeah, right!!! :(

oldbones
11/05/2015, 11:04 PM
I'm not impressed.

I have been running a Syncra 2.0 on my 29g biocube for a while. I've never been real happy with it in that tank. For one, it's actually a bit too big, it fits tight in the third chamber and is more flow that really needed for the tank. Unfortunately, it was also a bit noisy, but I chalked that up to the it being oversized and touching the walls of the third chamber.

Today, I got in a Syncra 1.0 to replace it (from BRS). I dropped it in the sink first for an op check and to clean before swapping it into service. Whoa, that thing's not quiet!!! I was hoping it was the cold water or maybe just needed to run a while and break in. So, I installed it in the tank.

Holy cow... It is annoyingly loud. Like as in, I can hear it over the radio (which I play kind of loud). It's driving me nuts, it's way louder even than the 2.0. In fact, I about to swap them back because I can't fathom having something that noisy in my living room.

Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I think I'll be trying something different next time.

soulpatch
11/06/2015, 08:33 AM
That is why many of us with the cubes go to the cobalt MJ1200 as a replacement pump.

I suggest you go that route and for all of $30 bucks or so on amazon it can be to your door tomorrow....

ca1ore
11/06/2015, 08:37 AM
Must be doing something wrong because I have a couple of them and I cannot hear them at all (and before you ask, 'no, I'm not deaf' :)). I have mine sitting on the sump bottom with the installed rubber 'feet'

soulpatch
11/06/2015, 08:51 AM
when did you get them calorie? A lot of chatter about the new sicce pumps no longer being as silent as we once knew. I had run them in my freshwater setups for years and they were silent but I went cobalt with the cube due to all the chatter about changes tot he line that made them not as silent.

Scorpius
11/06/2015, 09:40 AM
Their new pro line pumps are near silent. I run one myself.

oldbones
11/06/2015, 09:44 AM
Must be doing something wrong because I have a couple of them and I cannot hear them at all (and before you ask, 'no, I'm not deaf' :)). I have mine sitting on the sump bottom with the installed rubber 'feet'

Here's the rub, it's quite noisy running suspended in a sink full of water, not touching anything. If you pull the end off and run it you can see the impeller/rotor vibrates badly, there's something wrong with it and I will be returning it.

KingTriton1
11/06/2015, 09:51 AM
Ive owned at least 5 Sicce return pumps. Anything >1.5 is REALLY loud.

zooman72
11/06/2015, 11:22 AM

This, although it could be defective - I run several 1.5's and a 2.0, and they are almost dead silent (mild hum if close enough to them) - I would see if it could be returned...

For what it's worth, I have run several of the original Maxi-Jets (now Cobalt), and not all of them were dead silent, although they are generally quite good, so any brand offering can have a "bad apple"...

Zacktosterone
11/06/2015, 01:25 PM

I have to second that post. I have the same situation and my hearing is as good as it gets and I'm ridiculous when it comes to noise. It is for sure the quietest pump I've ever owned

ca1ore
11/06/2015, 08:53 PM
when did you get them calorie? A lot of chatter about the new sicce pumps no longer being as silent as we once knew. I had run them in my freshwater setups for years and they were silent but I went cobalt with the cube due to all the chatter about changes tot he line that made them not as silent.

Within the last 18 months.

soulpatch
11/06/2015, 08:58 PM
Odd I have one that is loud though the one in my aquamaxx skimmer is pretty quiet so long as I constantly clean it.