PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using N Rich from Reed to enrich live brine

Louis Z
11/05/2015, 11:59 PM
Wanting to enrich live adult brine before feeding to fish. Anyone with experience. Does the N-Rich product from Reed Mariculture work well on them?

Navanax
11/06/2015, 07:25 PM
N-Rich does work quite well. I typically use N-Rich to enrich 2-day old brine, but I'm sure you'll have no problem with adults. The density I use for 2 day old nauplii is a max of 100,000naup/L, with 2 mL of N-Rich per L of water. I'm not exactly sure what density you should enrich adults at, but the density you grow them out at should be sufficient. The nauplii are enriched for 12 hours to be completely saturated- adults may be able to get away with less time(6-8 hours?). Either way, enriching with N-Rich has given me fantastic results with a variety of livestock.

Louis Z
11/09/2015, 02:46 AM
Thanks navanax. The next order I put in I will try it. I just bought a S.e.l.c.o. boost to try since a local store carried it. I am trying to encourage wild caught fish to eat when frozen foods don't work. I have had WC fish try frozen foods but often they spit it out. So I have live semi adult brine that are getting eaten. I have been using reeds phytofeast and roti grow complete to grow them out. But wanted to enrich them further . I also bought reeds beta brine which I add a minute after adding the live brine. So once the fish start on live they continue feeding on the dead refrigerated brine not realizing the difference.

Navanax
11/09/2015, 10:41 AM
That's a great way to transition WC fish to frozen food; I've done a similar thing with live and stunned mysids to get seahorses to eat. I'll have to try it with brine next time I get a chance.

president89
11/09/2015, 06:08 PM
For Clownfish its advisable to skip over live brine. Rotifers to otohime. All the major breeders are doing.

Louis Z
11/10/2015, 04:10 AM
President 89. I do have otohime . But wc cardinals werenttouching anything but live..I haven't bought mysids because of price. Where would I get large size of mysids for reasonable price

Louis Z
11/10/2015, 04:17 AM
Well I did look at seahorse source . What type of setup would yall use for culturing mysids . I am thinking chaetomorpha . Rock piles and Tisbe copepods with rotifers added and phytofeast added

Navanax
11/10/2015, 12:06 PM
I haven't cultured mysids myself but I have a colleague who has and they told me that their #1 problem was the mysids cannibalizing each other, so they must be separated by size if you want a reasonable yield from your culture. IMO it's not viable to set up a small culture with their multiple tank design just because of the amount of time you need to spend per day maintaining it. But you should try the chaetomorpha with rock piles, maybe it'll give the smaller mysids enough places to hide from their larger cohorts. In regards to food, I haven't found mysids to be very picky at all.