PDA

View Full Version : Attaching tank to stand

mockranouse
11/08/2015, 02:59 PM
I just finished building a stand for my 29 gallon tank and I was wondering if anyone has ever attached their tank to the stand. The way I built the stand there is a small lip that comes up and hides the black trim on the bottom of the tank. I was thinking about sealing the 1/8" gap so that water can't seep through. Would there be any downsides to doing this? I figured I could use some clear silicone so that if I when ever I have to separate them it would be fairly easy.

davocean
11/08/2015, 03:15 PM
You should not need to attach, weight should do all you need in that aspect, but if you wish to seal that gap you could silicone it.
Straight silicone does not take paint or stain if you ever needed to touch up for any reason, so I use a paintable silicone, goes on white, dries clear.
I would blue tape it for a clean seal and not too heavy so it's not a pain to remove later.

thegrun
11/08/2015, 05:19 PM
Since the stand and tank are going to expand and contract at different rates if you do fill in the crack use calking that stays pliable like silicone.

davocean
11/08/2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah the stuff I use stays flexible, should have posted name, Alex plus is what I normally use on exterior, and of course not inside tank

reefer1970
11/08/2015, 09:01 PM
yeah, you will get water in there and ruin the stand no matter how careful you are. Clear silicone would be a good idea