PDA

View Full Version : Dark areas on new from LFS green/red open brain

Shznittle
11/09/2015, 12:54 AM
Hello all,

So I recently purchased my first open brain coral over the weekend and placed her on an open area of sand. In less than 24 hours, I started noticing dark areas on the coral tissue.

I have a 5-month old 72g BF w/29g sump with caulerpa and chaeto and running generic Evergrow D120s: whites 9 hrs/day @50% blues 12 hrs/day @75%. My parameters are: pH-8.0 (normaly around 8.1/8.2 but lowered recently after moving rocks around), temp 79.3 deg, salinity-1.025, Nitrates less than 5, Phos-0 (although we all know that phosphates and nitrates are just being held by macroalgae and NOT in the water column), Cal-400, KH-9, and magnesium-1320.

Things to note:
-Although I have plenty of rock with bacteria, I did add 3 small wrasses.
-Just recently placed the open brain coral under a shaded area as read in other posts.
-Haven't noticed any bleaching.

Is the coral just acclimating to the tank and my lighting or is this something that is indicating it dying? Thank you in advance for the replies, comments, and suggestions.

This is a photo found on google images, obviously NOT my open brain, with similar dark areas that I'm talking about. I haven't had the opportunity to take a picture of it yet, but I will when I get home from work:

Dkuhlmann
11/09/2015, 04:12 AM
Can't tell you anything without a picture of YOUR coral. Too many possible issues you could have.

Your parameters are fine

heathlindner25
11/09/2015, 04:33 AM
Looks normal to me.

Shznittle
11/09/2015, 05:11 AM
Can't tell you anything without a picture of YOUR coral. Too many possible issues you could have.

Your parameters are fine

"This is a photo found on google images, obviously NOT my open brain, with similar dark areas that I'm talking about."

My coral looks almost exactly the same as this...its the darkening areas/spots I'm talking about...different coral, same spots.

I guess the answer I'm really looking for is whether or not this is just normal during the acclimation period. My coral before being introduced in my tank did not have all the "darkening" areas/spots and they appeared shortly after. If its a normal thing, then fine. If not, then maybe I'm doing something wrong that I need to correct. I dont see the issue of posting a photo of a different coral with the EXACT same symptoms that i'm seeing on mine...

Dkuhlmann
11/09/2015, 05:26 AM
Why are you so against producing a picture of your coral? I told you can't diagnose YOUR coral without a picture of YOUR coral. A picture of another coral on the internet does no good even with your explanation of it, and saying yours is just like it, when in reality there are many things that look like something else but look similar to the untrained eye. Not saying that I have all of the answers but we can't give you one until you post a picture of YOUR coral. I can guess but then you will be running off to do what I suggest, even if its not whats wrong with it. You do want a positive ID don't you?

So if you want to know what it is post a picture of YOUR coral.

"brown spots" can be a lot of different things.

Shznittle
11/09/2015, 05:57 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to take a picture of it yet, but I will when I get home from work:

First of all, before I say anything that reflects any signs of ungratefulness, I do want to thank you for trying to help out. I am the one on here that is trying to reach out and looking for help identifying a possibly problem.

However, I find it counterproductive when people skim posts and assume things, then hastily reply with questions that have been addressed in the original post.

I work nights, i'm at work at the moment. Yes, I'm surfing the forums while I have electronics on a test bench at work, on company time. Therefore, I'm unable to provide a photo of the possible issue on-hand. As an alternative solution, I've decided to provide a photo found online that share the EXACT same images I'm seeing on my coral at home. It's intended to provide a general idea of what I'm seeing. In this case, the symptoms are EXACTLY what i'm seeing on my coral. It isn't, "oh, it kinda looks like this but i dont really remember...". It's kind've EXACTLY what i'm seeing on my coral...

Dkuhlmann
11/09/2015, 06:32 AM
You know what your saying is very similar to "my water parameters are fine or excellent or not an issue" when we ask for water Parameters. What we need in that case is the exact numbers because we might see something in the exact figures that they don't see.

I hear what you are saying perfectly and I'm telling you that nobody will tell you what's wrong without seeing a picture of YOUR coral. I'm not trying to be difficult here and only trying to help you. In case you haven't noticed 48 people have viewed your thread and I'm the only one that responded to you. I can pretty much promise you that anyone here that has the ability to help you diagnose your problem won't do so until you post a picture of YOUR coral. Any of them or even all of them won't diagnose this coral as being your problem.

So for now, until you post the picture I'm done with trying to help as this conversation has gotten totally ridiculous and I'm not going to diagnose that coral you gave a picture of, because its not yours!

fredfish13
11/09/2015, 08:45 AM
your brain looks fine.

fredfish13
11/09/2015, 08:47 AM
use your phone's camera and taptalk to post pic.

Shznittle
11/09/2015, 01:30 PM
There's your pic...smh

I just wanted to make sure that the discoloration or darkening is normal acclimation or something i needed to worry about. What it sounds like from at least most of you who can make general comments based on experience from general information provided, is that my coral is fine. The rest of us are still needing more information to make a general comment.

Example: "What kind of bird likes water, waddles, flies in a "V" formation, and are known to quack?"
"I need a picture of YOUR bird. I'm simple minded and won't comment any further."

You're telling me that the photo I found online isn't the same type of discoloration or darkening? Right...

Canneddynomite
11/09/2015, 03:21 PM
it doesn't look happy but I don't see the same brown spots in the initial picture from a brain you found online. Ive seen mine do that when my coris flips them over and over but they always open right back up when I flip them back. Yours is def not happy but far from dead.

Dkuhlmann
11/09/2015, 03:33 PM
I really don't understand why you are making such a production out of providing a picture of your coral? I am under no obligation to help you, I'm only here to help others because I want to. Frankly the way you've acted what you've typed I don't want to. I'll be surprised if anyone else here will either with your actions above.

I will say that your coral in no way appears to have what the first one has and no the brown splotches are not normal acclimation, and I'll leave it at that.

AUFishGuy
11/09/2015, 03:45 PM
OP clearly stated that he would not be able to provide a pic until he got of work, which he then did. Not sure why a couple of you got your feathers all ruffled about it.

Shznittle
11/10/2015, 01:14 AM
Its because folks like Dkuhlmann dont bother reading. They skim posts, and when their eyes catch key words that excite them, they jump to conclusions and reply with nonsense. Although I've mentioned several times that I was at work and wont be able to provide a photo until I get home (in which I did so, when I got home), the dude clearly is stuck about it and keeps mentioning how much of a problem I have about posting a picture. DUDE, I cant take a picture of my coral if I'm AWAY from home.

Your "no help" was no longer required when intelligent folks were able to comment on how the coral in the internet photo looked "fine" to them. In which, I was able to take that general assessment and say that my coral may also be fine as well and that I have nothing to worry about. You can go ahead and stop trolling my thread, cause that's all you've managed to do so far. I'm trying to be respectful to the help I get from folks, but its hard when you get harassed and criticized about an issue that was CLEARLY addressed. I asked for a general assessment of a photo that had the same symptoms as mine. I didn't ask for a doctor's complete examination of my coral...

Obviously, you've been busy since March trolling these forums with your 4k+ posts...

heathlindner25
11/10/2015, 04:28 PM
You know what your saying is very similar to "my water parameters are fine or excellent or not an issue" when we ask for water Parameters. What we need in that case is the exact numbers because we might see something in the exact figures that they don't see.

I hear what you are saying perfectly and I'm telling you that nobody will tell you what's wrong without seeing a picture of YOUR coral. I'm not trying to be difficult here and only trying to help you. In case you haven't noticed 48 people have viewed your thread and I'm the only one that responded to you. I can pretty much promise you that anyone here that has the ability to help you diagnose your problem won't do so until you post a picture of YOUR coral. Any of them or even all of them won't diagnose this coral as being your problem.

So for now, until you post the picture I'm done with trying to help as this conversation has gotten totally ridiculous and I'm not going to diagnose that coral you gave a picture of, because its not yours!

What did you mean by" 48 people have viewed this and you're the only one to repond".....
I answered.